Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My blue LED change part 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My blue LED change part 3

Ok I finally got more blue #74 bulbs for the doors and shift console. I installed the shift console bulb and the blue is hard to see vs the hyper white I had in there. Im thinking I need a 360' bulb instead of the 120' one I have. Has anyone figured a way to modify the shifter plate to let the color pass thru better? And then the doors: I test fit the blue bulbs in the doors and you can barely see the blue light( inside a dark garage) Ive read somewhere here someone drilled out the holes in the door bezel. Whos done that? and how much and what side did you drill out?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssteven@6LE
And then the doors: I test fit the blue bulbs in the doors and you can barely see the blue light( inside a dark garage) Ive read somewhere here someone drilled out the holes in the door bezel. Whos done that? and how much and what side did you drill out?
I run into the same problem on my passenger door, I can barely see the light as well. Driver's door is okay.

Would be interested in a drilling out MOD as well...
Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

You should use these bulbs.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s/74-xHP3.html

You are not going to get any good amount of light from the door handles if you keep it stock. You must remove the shitty reflectors GM put in there and mount an led so that it is aiming out the hole. The 3-SMD bulbs I posted above are great b/c you only need one SMD from each bulb to shine out the holes, so you can mount it how you want. I removed my door reflectors and mounted the bulb in there sideways using the factory socket and some super glue, and it doesn't get much better than that. (check my fquick for pics). No drilling is required unless you want to make the hole a little bigger.

Also, these bulbs will be better for your shift indicator b/c the sideways-facing SMD will shine right down the pathway of the reflector instead of just having one SMD facing up. When you put one of these bulbs in you won't need to do anything custom to see better, although you could get a small SMD strip and put it right under the shift indicator, which would be plenty bright.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

74-xHP3..........yep I just ordered 4 more of these. Superbrights is fast when they ship.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So how did you drill out the door bezel? From the backside or the tiny hole in front?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

I took the door handle bezel off and removed the factory reflectors with a razor blade and then super glued the bulb socket sideways with one of the sideways-facing SMDs shooting out of the hole. The only drilling I did was to make the diameter of the hole a little larger for more light to come out, but it is not necessary.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssteven@6LE
So how did you drill out the door bezel? From the backside or the tiny hole in front?
You should know better, lol. I posted all the bulbs you need on 6LE's forum. It's all there. And yes, get 360* LED's for everything you can. All the light helps in brightness. Same with the HVAC too. trust me.

And like stated, just remove the light reFRACTOR from the inside and attach the LED however you'd like. **** will be BRIGHT!

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/forum/...p?topic=1077.0
Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

^^I think he knew what I meant, but thanks for the correction.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
^^I think he knew what I meant, but thanks for the correction.
I'm sure he did. I was just ball bustin' ya!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

haha yeah, I catch myself doing that to others from time to time. X2 on the HVAC display, these bulbs made mine super bright!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks sommer

Quick Reply: My blue LED change part 3