Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Gauges - sending unit locations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket Gauges - sending unit locations?

Done a bunch of searches, but not finding much to work with.

Motor is an 06 GTO LS2 (yes, I know I am in the LS1 forum but there is a much larger following here and I think the fittings are universal and therefore the vast knowledge here applies to my motor as well). Running stock GTO PCM, so need to keep all the stock sending units that the PCM reads (assuming both water temp and oil pressure).

Motor going into a Mazda Miata, but wanting to do a full VDO guage setup. Here are the easy ones:

Speedo - hooks to PCM speedo output
Tach - hooks to PCM tach output
Fuel Level - hooks to stock Miata fuel tank sender
Volts - hooks to battery
Water Temp - sending unit in passenger head near #8 - M12 x 1.5 thread (correct?)

But I also have these:

High Water Temp alarm - N.O. sender closes at 250*F, need a location for it
Oil Pressure - need a location for the sender
Low Oil Pressure - N.O. sender closes below 15psi, need a location for the sender
Oil Temp - need a location for the sender

The Miata swap uses a custom oil pan (V8Roadsters - see third photo: https://ls1tech.com/forums/14302925-post129.html) so it doesn't have the drillable block above the oil filter location like a normal LSx plan. This is the remote filter pan so it's just fittings there.

So, can you guys help me out? I need a water temp location, 2 oil pressure locations and an oil temp location. I can probably drill the pan for temp if that proves to be the best location... the others I am clueless where to put the senders.

Thanks!
Wallyman
Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

For all of the oil stuff, you could do something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...#ht_1857wt_941

All I needed was oil pressure so I made my own with just a single hole and it works great.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by raven154
For all of the oil stuff, you could do something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...#ht_1857wt_941

All I needed was oil pressure so I made my own with just a single hole and it works great.
My oil pan has no provisions for that block.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

What remote oil filter housing are you using? For my Porsche Swap I am hiding my filter under the wheel liner, and installing my pressure sender there, you could put a "T" there and knock out both oil pressure and temp.
Aftermarket Gauges - sending unit locations?-remote-filter.jpg
You can see the 1/8 port on the front, that is where i will get pressure for the gauge. this is 99% the same as mine.

Mark
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

My bad. I just read the top half. Sorry about that.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Teching In

I believe the stock oil pressure sender by the rear of the intake isn't needed by the PCM, it only goes to the gauge (at least on my '99 LS1). I'm planning putting an aftermarket sending unit there for my Chevelle.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marky522
What remote oil filter housing are you using? For my Porsche Swap I am hiding my filter under the wheel liner, and installing my pressure sender there, you could put a "T" there and knock out both oil pressure and temp.
Attachment 273571
You can see the 1/8 port on the front, that is where i will get pressure for the gauge. this is 99% the same as mine.

Mark
Bought a Trasdapt 1056, 1/2" NPT in and out on both sides:

Hmmm... Perhaps I could works something in there? I'd prefer to pull pressure form the block, though (seems like a better idea logically, not sure factually it is though? Is there any down side to measuring pressure at the remote filter??)
Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sbsrkh
I believe the stock oil pressure sender by the rear of the intake isn't needed by the PCM, it only goes to the gauge (at least on my '99 LS1). I'm planning putting an aftermarket sending unit there for my Chevelle.
The wiring diagram shows the OP is read by the PCM and the sender is located "on top center rear of engine", so I am guessing it's the one at the back of the intake you are referring to and I can't change it. I can "T" it out, but that's about it.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

On my LS1 setup the PCM doesn monitor oil pressure but you dont HAVE to run it. It just sets a fault in the PCM that you can have turned off. But i am not sure if that changed with the LS2... thats what i was origonally going to do, run my Porsche sensor off the rear LS location, but when i found out my remote filter had the option for it, its just easier that way. And it shouldnt make any difference where your sender is.

Mark
Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marky522
On my LS1 setup the PCM doesn monitor oil pressure but you dont HAVE to run it. It just sets a fault in the PCM that you can have turned off. But i am not sure if that changed with the LS2... thats what i was origonally going to do, run my Porsche sensor off the rear LS location, but when i found out my remote filter had the option for it, its just easier that way. And it shouldnt make any difference where your sender is.

Mark
Something in my gut says I should be maesuring the oil pressure in the actual oil galley of the block, not out at the filter. Perhaps to picky? Temp at that filter, probably fine (tho I may weld a bung onto the iol pan instead?)..

Dunno.

Looking at a picture of the motor from the other day, I think I could easily put an adapter in the "back of the intake" location to run multiple senders there.. there looks to be plenty of room for it:

Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen guys drill and tap the boss that is on the fliter adapter plate for pressure. You could put a fitting there and then attach a lengh of hose to an adapter and mount all three....
Old 01-12-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
I've seen guys drill and tap the boss that is on the fliter adapter plate for pressure. You could put a fitting there and then attach a lengh of hose to an adapter and mount all three....
Can't, I don't have one.. see custom oil pan photo above.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

run oil PSI from stock located behind intake mani, thats what im doing and a lot of people in the drag race section do. Maybe you could find a distrubtion block that will fit behind the mani of some kind to run all those oil gauges you want to

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Gauges - sending unit locations?