Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered some new heads from Texas Speed what rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ordered some new heads from Texas Speed what rockers?

Guys I ordered a pair of prc 2.5 ls6 heads yesterday from texas speed for my 2000 trans am. Would getting the trunion upgrade for my stock rockers be a good choice? Do I just send my stocks to them and they install them?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Trunions are the best option for stock rockers. You can do them yourself very easily. If you want to save the $75-80 labor a shop will charge, do it yourself. All you need is a mallet or hammer, (2) 16mm sockets, an old head bolt if you have one (for pounding out old stock trunions) or something similarly sized, and another socket large enough to "catch" the old trunions as you pound them out. Once I had my rockers off the car it took me 30 minutes to change from the old trunions to the new ones. Let me know if you would like a write up on it.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is a good idea to do the trunion upgrade on the rockers but it is not a must. The vast majority of guys just simply reuse factory rockers and will never have a problem. However, from time to time you will see OE rockers kicking out the needle bearings which makes them hard to clean up and know you got them all out of the engine. No one like wondering if there is one left floating in their motor.

Jon
Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a previous post on heads but im in the same situation..I just purchased my suspension upgrades...I was about to order my PRC heads and new intake and i noticed a slight tapping in the engine..Not loud but its consistent..Low/mid/high rpms...I think its a lifter but im not sure..Currently runnin MS3 Cam package w/ double springs and pushrods from TSP..what are my options? Im going ahead and purchasing the heads but what else should i do before head install?? I still have stock rockers and stock lifters btw..I checked rocker arms and they're all tight...pulled pushrods and none are bent..I havent pulled heads to check lifters yet...
Old 01-11-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Defiantly check them lifters man. If you see anything out of the ordinary while checking your lifters I'd check your cam as well.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:14 PM
FormerVendor

If you think it is a lifter, a head swap is a good time to change them. The heads have to be off to change lifters. I would pick up a set of GM LS7 lifters and put them in during the install. They are relatively cheap for a set of 16. Let us know if you need a set!

Jon
Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

John I know this is a tough question to answer but I need a rough estimate on where my hp numbers will be after my head and cam swap. The heads are prc 2.5 ls6 that I ordered from you. The camshaft is a Vrx4 228/230 .588/.592 112 LSA. I cant find a fast 92 anywhere. I don't buy used so new, they aren't findable. So I'm pairing the heads and cam up with either an ls6 of Fast 102 ported. Other mods that are getting put on are an under drive pulley and new fuel system. Any rough guesses?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

435-445
Old 01-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GT_EATR
I have a previous post on heads but im in the same situation..I just purchased my suspension upgrades...I was about to order my PRC heads and new intake and i noticed a slight tapping in the engine..Not loud but its consistent..Low/mid/high rpms...I think its a lifter but im not sure..Currently runnin MS3 Cam package w/ double springs and pushrods from TSP..what are my options? Im going ahead and purchasing the heads but what else should i do before head install?? I still have stock rockers and stock lifters btw..I checked rocker arms and they're all tight...pulled pushrods and none are bent..I havent pulled heads to check lifters yet...
Recently had this issue, in the middle of putting the car back together (my fault was a pushrod cracked in half ), but do you mean the tapping stays consistent (as in same frequency), during low/mid/high rpm? if it was a valvetrain failure (lifter, pushrod, etc) it would increase frequency w/ rpms. 90% of the time that tappet sound is a valvetrain failure, but if its not changing frequency that may point to another issue. Oh and if you find damage on the lifter roller there will probably be damage on the camshaft, which i believe points to replacement. New clean part running against old torn up part = both torn up
Old 01-11-2011, 05:10 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

I would send your stock rockers out to Harlan Sharp and have them rebuilt. Otherwise, look into a set of Cranes or Yella Terras.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JPH
I would send your stock rockers out to Harlan Sharp and have them rebuilt.
And pay their crazy labor rate for that work??? NOPE! We sell them outright (rockers already upgraded and ready to go) for $250!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
FormerVendor

HP numbers are hard to say. There's a lot of variants between engines. I would say low to mid 400's are definitely doable.

If you are looking to get the rockers with the kits installed already, we have them on the shelf. We can even take yours back as cores to save you money!

Jon
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
And pay their crazy labor rate for that work??? NOPE! We sell them outright (rockers already upgraded and ready to go) for $250!
Yours are $25 dollars cheaper? Cool.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I thought theirs were more than $25 higher....but I could be wrong! We'll also refund $40 of that $250 if the customer sends us their stock rockers back as cores!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:23 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I thought theirs were more than $25 higher....but I could be wrong! We'll also refund $40 of that $250 if the customer sends us their stock rockers back as cores!
Cool, even better. Well, I just got a set back from them for an engine I am doing for a guy, and the bill was like $278 w/freight.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you do the trunnion upgrade at home use a vice if you can.there is a sticky write up on trunnion bearing swaps.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Definetly go for the ugraded stock units from Texas Speed. Awesome price and definetly a nice upgrade.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by garygnu
if you do the trunnion upgrade at home use a vice if you can.there is a sticky write up on trunnion bearing swaps.
I would advise against using the vice. I followed that write up and went out and got a vice and it was way harder using the vice then doing it the way I did it. 10000x easier and faster without the vice.