Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Putting LS3 heads on LS2. Need head gasket help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting LS3 heads on LS2. Need head gasket help.

Im buying my LS3 heads at the end of the week. Im not sure which head gaskets to get. The heads have not been milled. I want to keep the compression ratio to as close to 11.0 as possible. If anyone has done this swap or have the knowledge could you please chime in. If anybody has part numbers that will really help, Or poss. the thickness I would need. Thanks...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you open to milling the heads any to get the compression back, or are you trying to do it all with gasket?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Are you open to milling the heads any to get the compression back, or are you trying to do it all with gasket?

I was going to try to do it with all gasket, if that's possible.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

A .040" Cometic gasket and the stock LS3 chamber size will net you about 10.8:1 or so static. We've got them in stock ready to ship!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Matt. I will be giving you a call on friday, Im going to need some new springs anyways. I have one more question. Is there anyway we can figure out the pr length I would need, by going off of the gasket thickness and the fact the heads haven't been milled? Or am I going to have to buy a pr. length checker and figure out how to use it.Lol
Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

There are alot of variables in that one, even with unmilled heads! I'd definitely recommend getting the $20 length checker tool and making sure you get the right length. We can take an educated guess and ship you some with the tool, gaskets, and springs if you'd like. That way if we GUESS correctly, you've already got them there ready to install. Worst case, you need a different length and are just out the shipping back and forth on the pushrods and we swap them out to the other length.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
There are alot of variables in that one, even with unmilled heads! I'd definitely recommend getting the $20 length checker tool and making sure you get the right length. We can take an educated guess and ship you some with the tool, gaskets, and springs if you'd like. That way if we GUESS correctly, you've already got them there ready to install. Worst case, you need a different length and are just out the shipping back and forth on the pushrods and we swap them out to the other length.

Sounds good Matt. I will give you a call on friday.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Quick question. Read through your sig.... And have to ask why you went SD tune? If you're not blown then you're leaving a whole lot on the table there when you could go true MAF and have a much more accurate tune..... but that's just my opinion.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Launching!

You could purchase the OEM LS2/L76 gaskets, they're good stuff!

I've read people saying "you need LS3 gaskets" etc. But the fact is the L76 is a Gen IV 6.0 block with L92 heads, and they use the LS2/L76 gasket from the factory on those engines. They compress .051" (correct me if im wrong) the same as an LS3, but the diameter is smaller and hugs right around the bore (less volume) than if you went with the LS3 setup.

What kind of lifters are you running? They could have a major influence on the pushrod length.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by briancb1
You could purchase the OEM LS2/L76 gaskets, they're good stuff!

I've read people saying "you need LS3 gaskets" etc. But the fact is the L76 is a Gen IV 6.0 block with L92 heads, and they use the LS2/L76 gasket from the factory on those engines. They compress .051" (correct me if im wrong) the same as an LS3, but the diameter is smaller and hugs right around the bore (less volume) than if you went with the LS3 setup.

What kind of lifters are you running? They could have a major influence on the pushrod length.

I want to keep my compression ratio around factory or alittle higher. so Im just going to go with the .040 cometic gasket to keep it close. Im going to be running brand new GM LS7 lifters.

Im went sd tune, because my tuner suggested it, plus I would have a hard time fitting my vararam cai with my nitrous plate and the maf on there.
I don't mind a sd tune, It seems like my tuner get's it pretty much dead on.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Okey doke. Just wundering.....
Old 01-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Launching!

the pushrod cup in ls7 lifter is +.050" fyi
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Brian. That will help out.

Quick Reply: Putting LS3 heads on LS2. Need head gasket help.