Those of you with Pits...

Old 01-11-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those of you with Pits...

Any tips or advice? Also... does anyone have a pet with double joints... after looking into it that what it looks like, but im not sure... any input would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

a lotr of exercise

a lot of chew toys

walks pretty much everyday

give them attention

DO NOT let him/her start jumping onto you or onto other people

buy a harness for him/her

allow your dog to interact with other dogs when they're puppies.

when he/she gets older, lets say 7 or 8 months, be sure that you allow him/her to get close enough to smell the dog, but NEVER allow for any slack in the leash. if the OTHER dog owner is allowing too much slack, you might want to pick your dog up or politely tell that person that you don't feel comfortable letting the dog get closer (just precaution - all dogs are unpredictable)

kennel train them

during the kennel training you may have to put down some "wee-wee" pads so the puppy can pee on them (prepare to clean up some messes for about 3 or 4 months).

once the dog gets older, he/she will be able to hold itself for quite a few hours while you're away.

once they get that that age, let them out at night before going to bed and let them out in the morning before you go to work (that's if no one is home during the entire day)

start him/her on heartworm medication somewhere @ 4 or 5 months

i chose to "free feed" my dog. just keep his bowl full of food - he'll eat when he's hungry (keep food away from 2 year old daughter if you have any, ask how i know).

start as young as possible with basic commands - sit, stay, shut up, get in your house, go outside, etc

that's it for now - remember, it's a dog and YOU are it's master.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You always win.. remember if playing tugawar with them and you get tired of playing and stop.... the dog looks at it as winning, aka more dominant.
Use zero aggression, no hitting slapping etc. Scolding is ok, just never physical.
Let them be around tons of dogs early on.
^^^ had some good points.. Google it man, tons of info for the best breed available
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I actually saw a sign on the west side of town saying pits for sell. I decided to just go check it out with no intention of buying one. I had planned on getting one eventually. I have to admit i didnt like the home they were being raised in and he was the last one, and he was actually pretty healthy looking. I ended up buying instead of letting him go to what i felt was going to be a home of neglect. My dogs are family.

He will always be with me or my girlfriend so attention he will always have. As far as exercise he'll be going out to a 15 acre FENCED property so there will be plenty of that. We have a weimaraner that thinks its one of its own pups haha so there interacting greatly.

Got everything else, kennel, pads, we decided to go with Wellness brand food. As for training hell probably follow his companion with a CGC certification. Shes only going to be 9 months and shes well on her way. Although i did google i wanted to hear what some of the guys here had to say. As far as the double joint, this is what i was talking about... this is what it looks like http://images.dogsblog.com/shared/df...70811a100c.jpg

BTW any common health problems i may of over looked?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from my experience positive reinforcement works wonders, I love my 2, you will realize they are a very misunderstood breed!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

that dog you posted a picture of is not a pitbull, not full bred anyways

my pit is the sweetest thing, and is scared of his own puppies that the mother just had. although everyone who seems him is scared of him

they will be how you train them!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Pits looooooove to please their master. If they see they are making you happy, they are going to do it. Praise them, make sure you read up on the correct way to praise dogs.. you should not touch them while praising, all verbal.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

i dont see any pit in that dog you posted.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats a mighty viscious border collie you got there.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GSus
Thats a mighty viscious border collie you got there.
lmao.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
Pits looooooove to please their master. If they see they are making you happy, they are going to do it. Praise them, make sure you read up on the correct way to praise dogs.. you should not touch them while praising, all verbal.
Is there a reason for the no physical attention while praising??

as for the picture of the dog I posted I was simply using it as an example, that's not the dog I picked up, I know that's not a pit haha.

Last edited by Vectus; 01-12-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vectus
Is there a reason for the no physical attention while praising??

as for the picture of the dog I posted I was simply using it as an example, that's not the dog I picked up, I know that's not a pit haha.
I dont remember the reason, been about three years since I read it. I know it has something to do with the way thy are while in a pack, the leader should never touch them while praising or correcting bad behavior.
You have to remember at ALL times they are testing you to see who is more dominant or how much they can get away with.

Cesar Milan is a good person to read up on, pits are his number one. There are a few things that differ with pits while raising them than other breeds but the majority of the things are similar. One of the main things as mentioned is exercise. Pits need one hour of exercise daily the first 2-3 years of their life, they aren't considered adults until around age 2 1/2, meaning you will have a large dog that thinks it is a puppy for about two years.

Sorry, I woupd go into more detail and give you links to saved sites but I don't have ky comp with me, on my phone.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

this is what pits are supposed to look like at @ 3 months - congrats on your dog, but it's definately NOT a pit.

i never buy pits off the street - kennels only.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is not the pit he bought guys, he was using it as a reference for the double joint he was talking about.

I'm not fond of the short stalky (sometimes look fat) pits, it is not a "properly built" (like it seems as the first two pics are) pit. They shouldn't be 1 1/2 feet tall and weigh 80+lbs (little exaggeration but you know what I mean)
Old 01-12-2011, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

those are bully pits.

the other two at the bottom look like traditional style'd Colby/Budreaux/Heinzl, etc
Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by imlooking
those are bully pits.

the other two at the bottom look like traditional style'd Colby/Budreaux/Heinzl, etc
That is what I was thinking.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Make sure you get a breaker stick as well. Google it. You may never need it but if you do, you'll be glad you had one.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

For anyone who believes in myths...

Remember: pit bulls do not have a special mechanism or enzyme that allows them to "lock” their jaw, nor do they possess a higher than average “bite pressure.” They simply have the determination of a terrier.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

yeah, locking jaws are hilarious.

"...oh man, i heard pits jaw's locked on people/things..."

yeah, because pitbull jaws are some special "hybrid jaw" only found in ONE BREED of canine

LMFAO !!!!

Search this Thread