Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlight is Foggy.. Replace it? If so, from where?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight is Foggy.. Replace it? If so, from where?

Hello everyone.

First off, please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong forum section. I couldn't find a troubleshooting section..

Anyways, I own a 99 Camaro Z28 (5.7L V8, Automatic Transmission). Onto my problem, I noticed that the driver side headlight appears a bit opaque (I believe this is referred to as a fogged headlight). Is there anything I can do to restore the light to a like-new condition? Or must I buy the replacement?

In the case that I have to simply buy a new light, I've decided to buy an aftermarket version from an online store. I've always used original parts on my car in the past, but due to my financial constraints I've got to look for the cheaper alternative. I've already done some looking around online and I've narrowed it down to two sites that I particularly liked, but the price for the product differs significantly between the two sites which is why i'm suspicious that one may not be legitimate. Has anyone ever used either of these sites and can verify to me that they are legitimate? Thanks in advance.

http://www.go-part.com/9802-chevrole...r-p-12246.html
or
http://www.aaapart.com/index.php?rou...duct_id=159193
Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Buy the 3M kit. It's $20. Comes with drill chocks and everything. Makes them look brand new. They sell it at WalMart and Autozone. Other places too.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro34657
Buy the 3M kit. It's $20. Comes with drill chocks and everything. Makes them look brand new. They sell it at WalMart and Autozone. Other places too.
To go into more detail, this is a DIY kit that you use to basically turn your old lights to near new condition. You basically sand (buff) out the hazing in your old lights, and then polish them to the point where they look almost new again. It's a lot cheaper then buying a whole new replacement. It takes a little patience but it's well worth it when you finish.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...-how-pics.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...oday-pics.html

It's easier and cheaper to wetsand your OEM headlights and touch them up with a plastic refinishing kit.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

I actually used the Meguiar's kit before too. It's $5 cheaper. Works really good, but the 3M kit is still better.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

^ I used that to but found it better just to go and buy the stuff to do it versus buying a kit. I think I started with either 400 or 600 grit sandpaper all the way up to either 1400 or 1600 followed by Meguires PlastiX. Then after a couple weeks, I went and sprayed them with some gloss clear coat and haven't looked back since.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

If you have some materials laying around your house and you don't want to go buy something, do this:

WETSAND. Starting with 1000 should be fine, maybe 800. Keep the surface soaked at all times. While your sanding your foggy headlight, you'll notice the run-off water with look yellowish. This is the oxidized plastic (foggy plastic) on your lens that you're sanding off. Keep sanding until the run-off water is white/clear. Then wetsand with 1000, 1500, 2000. Then grab whatever plastic/cutting polish you have and polish the living hell out of the headlight.

If you have a buffer, use it.

Quick Reply: Headlight is Foggy.. Replace it? If so, from where?