Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turtle Wax Black Box

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turtle Wax Black Box

I just saw this other day and was wondering if anyone had tried it and how well it worked. I was thinking of picking some up and giving it a try.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

I have used it on my car and in my opinion it is the best for black cars. wear rubber gloves though cause your nails will be black after.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmm. I need to give it a try then too.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its takes a while to wipe it off. I tried earlier this year. It doesnt last but does cover minor scratches.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

No it's terrible. I would stick with higher quality detailing products along the lines of Menzerna, Optimum, Chemical Guys, P21S.

In reality, all detail good detailing products worth their salt will improve the finish of any color car. The "Black Box" is nothing more than branding and marketing at play. Spend the coin on quality products and applicators, learn how to use them effectively, and you will be miles ahead of detailing your car with Pep Boys/Autozone detailing products.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah. I kind of get what you mean. I used that Meguiar's Tech was 2.0. It was way too watery and left my car all swirly. And was like $20. Lasted like 2 months if that. That's the only Meguiar's product that let me down.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Camaro34657
Yeah. I kind of get what you mean. I used that Meguiar's Tech was 2.0. It was way too watery and left my car all swirly. And was like $20. Lasted like 2 months if that. That's the only Meguiar's product that let me down.
As a former professional deatiler, the only products I would use from Meguiars would be the M105/M205 polishes. Aside from those two products, their line is lack luster at best.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

I use their leather conditioner spray stuff. And there tire gel. And I used the headlight restoration kit they have. Everything worked well. Besides the wax. Haven't really got much into car detailing, I hope to soon though. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
As a former professional deatiler, the only products I would use from Meguiars would be the M105/M205 polishes. Aside from those two products, their line is lack luster at best.
I use all their car products and love them. The interior wipes to the 2.0, I'm impressed with the results.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly I loved the black box on my car. I used to use meguars and had the same swirls after complely wiping it off. Used the black box with a porter cable and soft pad, no swirls, did take some time but I loved the results. As far as not lasting long I waxed mine about 3 months ago. Have only wages the car about 5-6 times since due to rain and the last time I washed it was a month in between and it still looked like I had just waxed it
Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been impressed with meguiars line of professional products. I really like their polymer sealant 2.0 and 105/205 combo is great.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to steer away from turtle wax. Anything I have ever used from them on my car leaves all these hazy swirls everywhere. I like meguiars. As far as normal off the shelf stuff that doesn't cost a fortune it gets the job done.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Speaking to multiple points in this post.

1. NXT 2.0 is more of a sealant (withing mild "cleaning" properties) rather than a wax. Sealants do a great job preserving that deep shine obtained from polishing, but usually lack that wet look as a LSP. Waxes, the complete inverse, bring out that proper detailed wet shine, but don't last as long as sealants. The NXT may look great for a couple days; however, it doesn't even come close to the longevity of a proper sealant and wax combo.

Instead of a bottle of a NXT, I would recommend Natty Blue, an actual Carnuba wax, that is the best way for the money behind P21S in my book:

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...x-P30/8-oz-S1/

2. NXT v1 and v2 have a **** poor reputation for spotty application and removal. I don't like the NXT texture as a wax or a sealant (whatever you want to call it..polymer sealant). Sealant should be smooth and slippery, and wax should be creamy and paste like. NXT has this weird beady texture that dries quickly but takes some effort to remove.

I may be speaking for myself, but when I detail a car, the last thing I want to do is slave over a LSP when I've just spent 3-6 hrs washing, claying, polishing, vaccuming, etc. By that point, I've done all the prep work and I just want something simple to go on and make the paint pop.

It's ironic that the boss of all sealants is the easiest product to use in my arsenal. Optimum Opti-Seal is the most amazing spray and wipe product you will ever use. Sure the price is a little steep and the bottle is small, but a tiny spray goes a long way:

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...-P279/8-oz-S1/

3. Interior care. Sure the wipes may be convenient...but the idea of a wipe pertains more to a baby's *** then car care. I want something I can spray on, wipe off without loosing the product in the wipe or having to back over an area with consecutive wipes. More importantly, most OTC interior products leave this super cheesy, greasy finish over all the leather and plastics that looks half-***. Someone that details cars understands the difference between the "I drowned my interior in Armor-all and now its a damp cave" and a smooth, subtle finish that screams cleanliness, without that amateur oily look.

I recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant...the best interior/plastic/underhood/anywhere cleaner ever. I cannot stop finding uses for this product. I clean my seats with it, freshen up black plastics, wipe down the dash, spray it on carpet stains, etc and it continues to remove stains/dirt and leave a smooth satin finish that makes the plastics/leather look brand new instead of dripping wet. I even use it to clean my suede and leather shoes and it removes scuffs making shoes look pristine...like I said, it does everything.

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...-P12/16-oz-S1/

As a whole, Meguiars products aren't that bad...as they are middle of the road price wise and from a quality standpoint. For a few bucks more, better products can be had that will make the world of difference; its just difficult to convince people not to buy detailing products at Pep Boys or any other major auto chain retailer. I do love me some M105/M205, don't get me wrong.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Teching In

thanks Nacho SS. I was looking at some of the stuff on detailedimaged.com and think i will be investing in some of those things before too long.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

That was a great post without all the "holyier than thou" detailing snob remarks that tend to be so prevalent these days...

I swear, detailing products are to car snobs what unsigned bands are to hipsters, and most will let you know how stupid and what a piece of **** you are for using them without giving any alternatives or reasons.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 95blackZ
thanks Nacho SS. I was looking at some of the stuff on detailedimaged.com and think i will be investing in some of those things before too long.
No prob man. I sent you a PM with some info on detailedimage as well.
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
That was a great post without all the "holyier than thou" detailing snob remarks that tend to be so prevalent these days...

I swear, detailing products are to car snobs what unsigned bands are to hipsters, and most will let you know how stupid and what a piece of **** you are for using them without giving any alternatives or reasons.
Some detailers are legitimate ********. I'm sorry you've encountered some detailing snobs . It's definitely a niche business and what works for one person may not work for another. I hear you on that last part...there's fanboys of every product that are willing to defend their products and bash on everything else without any knowledge.

I worked in a very ritzy, upscale detailing shop for about 3 years before I moved on to doing detail work on my own. Everything I "thought" I knew about detailing was thrown in the trash and I slowly picked up new skills over the years. With this approach, I try to be confident in my work yet humble enough to help people, because I know as well as anyone that there are some snobby ********* out there that love to tell you what you are doing wrong, but offer little help to correct the problem.

I just wanted to show some people on here that store bought detailing products are good...but they are just that-good enough. For a few bucks more than the Megiuars/Mothers/Eagle One lines, you step up to a whole new tier of professional grade products that actually go on easy, come off like butter, and keep your car looking great for a long time.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Ive used it on my car and it works. My car has a lot of scratches and stick out, this covers them up for a while.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO, if you are going to spend the time and effort to work on improving the finish on your vehicle, you would be better served using almost anything else other than a Turtle Wax product. You will put ina lot of effort, and a week later, you will see little to no evidence of it.

If you are using professional line products, the biggest factor in most detailing jobs is correct process and technique, not the actual product you are using.

Find a good quality product you like to use, and learn how to use it correctly.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gipraw
IMO, if you are going to spend the time and effort to work on improving the finish on your vehicle, you would be better served using almost anything else other than a Turtle Wax product. You will put ina lot of effort, and a week later, you will see little to no evidence of it.

If you are using professional line products, the biggest factor in most detailing jobs is correct process and technique, not the actual product you are using.

Find a good quality product you like to use, and learn how to use it correctly.
I like your sig.

Been getting a lot of PMs on some detailing products. If anyone else needs some help on selecting products and/or methodology, please don't hesitate to ask.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:35 AM
Teching In

i used the black box on my 96 cobra over the summer and it did decently. it did help on some of the scratches but over all it didnt seem that it did a much better job then most other waxes i've tried

Quick Reply: Turtle Wax Black Box