Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how hard is it to change spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is it to change spark plugs

i am doing mine this weeked,i got ngk tr6's to go with the procharger
any pointers will be appreciated
thanks
Old 02-09-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

7 of them are not that bad, but number 8 is usually a bitch. I can get to #8 from underneath the car, which is much easier, but I don't have any cats in the way either.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the coil packs and valve covers off and the AIR tubes disconencted, it took about 15 minutes. Even #8 was easy from the top, just takes some time to get the socket on there then its easy.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:07 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine when I swapped on the new headers. I did #8 from the bottom, all the rest from the top. I got it done in just a little over 30 minutes, with some chit chatting , and some BSing. They arn't bad to do, they're just knucklebusters...something you gotta get used to I guess.

Rob
Old 02-09-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
With the coil packs and valve covers off and the AIR tubes disconencted, it took about 15 minutes. Even #8 was easy from the top, just takes some time to get the socket on there then its easy.
damn #8 I always have to get from the bottom? What kind of socket wrench/extensions are you using. I want to duplicate your setup next time cause it is still a pita from underneath IMO.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike K.
damn #8 I always have to get from the bottom? What kind of socket wrench/extensions are you using. I want to duplicate your setup next time cause it is still a pita from underneath IMO.
I believe I used a deep socket, 5/8" or whatever it is, then a 1" extension, using a 3/8" ratchet. I think I put the socket on the plug first, then put the ratchet on the socket. It wasn't easy, but wasn't incredibly hard either. I haven't tried from the bottom so I'm not sure if it is easier or not.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:58 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah the plugs are a pain. I would recommend at least removing the coil packs for added room. I changed mine with valve covers and coil packs still on. driver side was a breeze, front 2 on passenger are easy. I actually had a harder time on the 3rd one rather than the last one. but the last one is easier if you get it from bottom. remember to use anti seize compound so removing them in the future is easier.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

plugs 1-7 were always a breeze, just #8 was a b!tch
the one thing that makes #8 EASY from the top, is this rachet

found here: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00944835000

this rachet is the best thing I've bought for this car, the only thing it's missing is a latch or lock or something, to lock the head in position
If you have that, along with a decent extension set, standard sparkplug socket, and a swivel-socket, your good to go
Old 02-10-2004, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

With a good set of swivels and various size extensions, you can get them all from the top easily with the coil pack removed on the passenger side. The first time you change your plugs will take the longest simply because you have to remove the dreaded "hidden" coil pack bolt from the passenger side, but no one ever puts it back
It took my a little less than an hour for all 8 plugs my first time. There is really no need at all to go from the bottom.

These work great:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=31203

Tommy
Old 02-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

That back coil rail bolt on the passenger side is a MAJOR BEOTCH!!! I had my cat's off (getting ready for LT swap) and STILL wasn't able to get at it from underneath.

I ened up using a 1/4 drive and deep socket 10mm and just jammed on in that bolt and moved the heater hose out of the way even though the hose didn't want to budge much. I was able to bust the bolt loose a bit, then was able to undo it all the way by comming from underneath with a homemade (read hack sawed!) stubby 10mm closed end.

In all, I think I spent more time just busting the wire boots off the dang plugs. Those boots are on there TIGHT!
Old 02-10-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onyxxtreme
plugs 1-7 were always a breeze, just #8 was a b!tch
the one thing that makes #8 EASY from the top, is this rachet

found here: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00944835000

this rachet is the best thing I've bought for this car, the only thing it's missing is a latch or lock or something, to lock the head in position
If you have that, along with a decent extension set, standard sparkplug socket, and a swivel-socket, your good to go
I'm gonna get me one of those!

There is no way to get to #8 from underneath on a '98 with stock exhaust. You can see it, but you can't touch! You can only get it from above, with much agony and suffering in the process. Anti seize is our friend.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

The first time I did mine I didn't remove anything and got #8 from the bottom. You'll need a stubby extension and a lot of patience. It took me about 3 hrs. A prybar is also useful removing the boots. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by JHarmon; 02-10-2004 at 11:44 AM. Reason: ommission
Old 02-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Teching In

installuniversity.comhas some good tips
Old 02-10-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

I'm no expert, but if it is taking anyone more than 2 hours, they are definitely doing it the hard way. Just remove the passenger coil pack. And remove the air tubes from both exhaust manifolds, and you will be done in an hour...
Old 02-10-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the tips guys
i have a lot of work this weekend
1st do sparkplugs,i also have to change the driver side window motor,and power steering pump pulley that some how got a chip so wish me luck
thanks again
Old 02-10-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

let me know how the window motors goes, mine is slow to not working in the winter...

Tommy
Old 02-10-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TaTommyWS6
let me know how the window motors goes, mine is slow to not working in the winter...

Tommy
The window motor isnt hard at all, just follow the directions and you will be done in no time.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bayou_z28
installuniversity.comhas some good tips
Hey man. Where y'at in so. La.? I work in Houma and live in River Ridge(metro New Orleans).
Old 02-11-2004, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TaTommyWS6
I'm no expert, but if it is taking anyone more than 2 hours, they are definitely doing it the hard way. Just remove the passenger coil pack. And remove the air tubes from both exhaust manifolds, and you will be done in an hour...
I guess my way was the hard way but I can do it the same way now in about an hour. I didn't remove the coilpack because of the dreaded "hidden bolt"......I also have big hands. I'm 6'4" and wear a size 14 shoe so you can imagine how hard it is to get my biga$$ hands in those little confined spots. You regular size people have it much easier in cramped areas.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JHarmon
....I also have big hands. I'm 6'4" and wear a size 14 shoe so you can imagine how hard it is to get my biga$$ hands in those little confined spots. You regular size people have it much easier in cramped areas...
"Regular size people" You must have it tough. I'm six foot (185) and have problems squeezing my arms (large forearms) into certain areas. I gotta see you slide under the car while it's on the ramps.