Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Does a staggered wheel set up handle better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does a staggered wheel set up handle better?

I am eventually going to get koni shocks 4/3 sa and strano springs but I had a question about tire size as new tires are priority right now.

Would a staggered set up like 275 r 17 and 295 r 17 handle better than say 275's all the way around???

I was also thinking of going with the Continental DWS tire, as I've read a lot of good reviews on them for an all around great performer in all conditions.

Thoughts/Advice?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I can't answer your question, but would like to comment on the tires you mention. I am also in the market for new tires and just looked up the Continental DWS. I like that they have a mileage warranty and the UTQG of 540. The BFGoodrich Super Sport A/S has a rating of 400, but no warranty with zr rated tires.

Anyways, I may do the Continental tires. I did a search in this forum and didn't find too much information on these tires. Anyone else have opinions on these?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Handling depends on so many things but, in general, the more rubber you put on the road the better your traction/handling/road holding will be. The only exception to that is if you have to raise the rear ride height (don't know why you would, but just sayin...) to fit the larger tire in the rear. If you can run the bigger tire, do it.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I always gone by the rule that the more contact patch you can get to the ground, the more traction to be gained. Put it this way... the Veyron has 365s.... that almost two tires to osts one. THat makes a 315 look small.
As for DWS. LOVE EM! been driving on them for a year now in two winters even and they hold up well to all types of driving. No they arnt gonna grip like Nittos but Nittos dont drive well in the snow do they These do. Now Ice is another thing. They can manage but you gotta take it easy on the gas.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Putting wider tires in the rear won't improve handling in the corners if you have understeer, since the front tires do the steering. It will decrease the chance of the rear end sliding out and help with straight line traction though.

Also the DWS has a soft sidewall compared to other performance tires, so that will have an effect on your car's cornering ability. If you want good traction you have to sacrifice tire wear, if you want longer tire wear you have to sacrifice traction. There is no tire that will give you both.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Technically speaking, stagger is running tires of different height at different positions on the car, to influenece how the car turns.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Technically speaking, stagger is running tires of different height at different positions on the car, to influenece how the car turns.
True, didnt think of it that way.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Stagger is a racing term used to describe tire circumferance (roll-out) differences on the same axle. Staggered fittment is a wheel industry term to describe different size wheels or tires front to rear.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I dont think the OP is asking about that type of setup. But to add to his actual question, i dont think DWS are avalible in 295s. I think 275 is the widest. If your looking for an All-season tires that are wide, I believe Sumutomos has em in somwhere around that. Not sure who else makes allseasons in the 295+ range. Most guys get summer rims when they get that high since most tires start to be only Summer tires only in that range.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Running two different tires front and back will actually hurt the balance of the if you compensated for (different spring rates, ride heights, swaybars, and shocks) GM designed the car to be balanced with the same size tire all the way around.

As for the DWS, expect them to last, but don't expect to perform. Don't expect any tire with over a 340 tread wear rating to perform on these cars.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

My understanding is that the car will push more in the corners, which these cars do a lot of in stock trim. However, this is probably only detectable at the cornering limits. Most people are not going to be driving their cars to that point though (such as on a road coarse).

Quick Reply: Does a staggered wheel set up handle better?