LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

deleting EGR, anyone cap their manifolds?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deleting EGR, anyone cap their manifolds?

On the passenger side of my Z/28 the top rubber hose connected to the EGR system is cracked and creating an exhaust leak. When I called O'reillys to find out a hose replacement price they told me EGR hoses were special order. My next decision was to grab the UMI block off kit to just eliminate the system but realized there would be an open hole in each manifold since Im not getting EGR-deleted headers right now. Capping it off shouldnt be a problem, but finding ones that can handle the direct exhaust heat could be. Ive included pictures of the cracked EGR hose and the two places that would need to be capped. Any suggestions on what to use or help from those that have done it before getting headers would be greatly appreciated.

***edit - POS computer wont let me add pics, will get them up asap.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The hose on the manifolds (in the front) are NOT part of the EGR. They are the AIR injection manifolds, and in no way are they related to the EGR, so replace every EGR in your post with AIR and we can get somewhere.

If you're looking to remove the whole AIR system, just remove the pump and lines. Install some M18 oil drain plugs in the manifolds and you're done. The crossover tube below the timing cover will need to be destroyed/cut to remove it completely.

Why are you worried about replacing the hose when you're removing everything? Unless you really ARE talking about the EGR, which is located on the BACK of the intake manifold...
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Oh, I didnt know, I just assumed the tubes coming off the headers were the EGR. I know about the hose on the back on the manifold, so Ill assume all 3 UMI plates go back there. Im removing it all since the hoses are special order. Does any parts store carry the M18 oil plugs or should i goto a certain place? is the crossover tube welded or bolted on like the AIR tubes?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

The UMI plates delete the EGR, so which one are you trying to delete, AIR or EGR?

For the EGR, remove everything (the solenoid, tube, and valve), then install the plates where the valve and tube went (don't forget the one on the exhaust manifold).

For the AIR, remove everything, install the M18 plugs (available at just about any parts store), cut the crossover tube, and block off the 5/8" fitting on the intake ducting.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

does the crossover tube connect the exhaust manifolds or something else? Im just under the impression if it connext the exhaust and its cut wouldnt that cause another exhaust leak? Ill be deleting both now, thanks.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, it connects the two manifolds. That's why you install the plugs in the manifolds.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

ohhh, okay, so it needs four M18 plugs? One on top of the manifold and one in front?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ugh...no...you need TWO plugs, one for each manifold. And a 5/8" vacuum cap for the intake ducting, JUST FOR THE AIR SYSTEM.

For the EGR you install the block-off plates.

Keep in mind if you disable both of these systems you will get SES codes.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought my caps from the hardware store. plumbing section.

maybe this will help answer any questions or help atleast picture what were talking about....

EGR
http://www.shbox.com/1/egr1.jpg

AIR
http://www.shbox.com/1/temp_sensor1.jpg

it was the only picture i could fine. otherwise its just a metal pipe that connects both manifolds. it wraps under the engine by the pulley.

Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 01-12-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Hi,
you can pick up a freeze plug (adjustable) at parts store, then make two (2) plates out of flat bar aluminum or steel. Drill holes and grind to shape desired. Total cost less than $10.00 ....takes about 30 minutes..good luck and have a blessed day.
Jim
Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the pick help badazz. will the vacuum bypass leading to the solenoid need a plug, or is that the 5/8" intake ducting plug that was mentioned before?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The plugs are M22. You can get them at any parts store. Just ask them for oil pan plugs for a Dodge Ram with the Cummins Diesel engine.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jazz-LT1
The plugs are M22. You can get them at any parts store. Just ask them for oil pan plugs for a Dodge Ram with the Cummins Diesel engine.
OBDII cars use M18 plugs. M22 only fits 93-95 cars.

OP, I'll make it easy for you since we haven't been clear enough I guess. Once everything is removed, if there's a hole somewhere, be it in the intake ducting, intake manifold, exhaust, in your front door, in a hole in a gas station stall, ANYWHERE, just plug it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: deleting EGR, anyone cap their manifolds?