Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

228R and LS7 Lifters...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 228R and LS7 Lifters...

So, in the middle of my cam swap / general overhaul and while perusing the forums I had a realization...

I read that with LS7 lifters you need to run a different pushrod length, is this true?(I had assumed OEM replacement would be ~same) I purchased a cam package from TSP and it came with 7.4 pushrods, if everything else on my valvetrain is stock (minus the springs with the package ofc), should 7.4 be close enough to the correct length, or do I need to start worrying? When talking on the phone before ordering I asked if LS7 lifters would do fine and was given the go ahead, just wanted to make sure.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as far as i know you should be ok. BUT i read somewhere the camshafts were ground on a smaller base so you needed a longer pushrod? somebody correct me if im wrong
Old 01-13-2011, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

7.425 the 228r has a smaller base circle. my advice is to measure. or you can install everything and pray its right. a cheap way to measure is to use permanent marker on the valve stems then install the rockers and rotate the engine a few times by hand. if you have a small line on the center of the valve stem then your good. if its more to the right or left you need to change lengths. theres other ways though, read through the forums.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:51 AM
On The Tree

When I ordered my package and LS7 lifters from TSP, they told me I had to run shorter pushrods but that is with the tsunami cam.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by usafws6
7.425 the 228r has a smaller base circle. my advice is to measure. or you can install everything and pray its right. a cheap way to measure is to use permanent marker on the valve stems then install the rockers and rotate the engine a few times by hand. if you have a small line on the center of the valve stem then your good. if its more to the right or left you need to change lengths. theres other ways though, read through the forums.
Theres a good point, but it begs the question why would TSP ship a package that has pushrods that would inherently not be the proper length? I don't see them doing that with the good reputation they have, and I was more concerned that the LS7 lifters had changed the pushrod length I need (I would start measuring the difference between the stock lifters and LS7 but I'm at college and away from car till friday). Perhaps (longshot) the difference needed for LS7 lifters and 228R cancel out somehow and they just threw in 7.4 because they saw them both ordered on the same shipment, but thats speculation.

I was hoping someone who has a similar setup running would chime in as I know its a popular cam and lifter choice, I'll probably end up calling TSP after I get back to the car.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LS7 lifters will need about a .050" shorter pushrod than you would need with a stock LS1 lifter. Best bet is to always measure though!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke_Z28
Theres a good point, but it begs the question why would TSP ship a package that has pushrods that would inherently not be the proper length? I don't see them doing that with the good reputation they have, and I was more concerned that the LS7 lifters had changed the pushrod length I need (I would start measuring the difference between the stock lifters and LS7 but I'm at college and away from car till friday). Perhaps (longshot) the difference needed for LS7 lifters and 228R cancel out somehow and they just threw in 7.4 because they saw them both ordered on the same shipment, but thats speculation.

I was hoping someone who has a similar setup running would chime in as I know its a popular cam and lifter choice, I'll probably end up calling TSP after I get back to the car.
We will ALWAYS recommend measuring. That being said, we can make an educated GUESS, so that you have a set there. You measure, and if the guess is right, which it often times is, then you are good to go. Worst case scenario, you have to send back the pushrods to swap for a different length and are just out the shipping to exchange them.

We also break-up the packages and send the pushrods separate of the rest of the order after you've measured. That way comes out a few bucks more than taking a guess at first does, but it eliminates shipping pushrods back and forth in the event we guess incorrectly.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
We will ALWAYS recommend measuring. That being said, we can make an educated GUESS, so that you have a set there. You measure, and if the guess is right, which it often times is, then you are good to go. Worst case scenario, you have to send back the pushrods to swap for a different length and are just out the shipping to exchange them.

We also break-up the packages and send the pushrods separate of the rest of the order after you've measured. That way comes out a few bucks more than taking a guess at first does, but it eliminates shipping pushrods back and forth in the event we guess incorrectly.
Thanks, it is good to know. Basic math is telling me it will either be 7.4 or 7.375, but we all know how far that gets in the real world , so yes I will be measuring. I've waited years to do something major to my car, whats possibly 1 more week of shipping turn-around to make sure its right?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usafws6
Op if you find you need this size pushrod I have a set from Comp with about 500 miles on it I'm selling for a good deal.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jonnie Bravo
Op if you find you need this size pushrod I have a set from Comp with about 500 miles on it I'm selling for a good deal.
Thanks, but if I need a different size I'll just be sending the ones I got with the package back to TSP to swap out for the necessary size.

Quick Reply: 228R and LS7 Lifters...