LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dynaspark FTW

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dynaspark FTW

I've been chasing down high rpm issue while I'm on spray for almost a year now. Assuming it was a nitrous issue I rewired my setup, changed selinoids (old ones were bought used) and relocated them and swapped out ignition boxes as a test (thanks Rob!).
I contacted dynaspark back in November making mention of my issue to see if it could be ignition related. Mentions to me if it needs to be rebuilt, it's a $90 charge which I'm ok with cause I know I'm not easy on the car by any means. Time passes( couple weeks), I haven't sent it in yet and he actually contacts me for a status update. I thought that was really cool btw.

I finally sent it in on monday afternoon and received it back today with no charge! ( a year past warranty) Come to find out the rotor came loose and bent the reluctor wheel which makes sense and I'm thrilled that my drivabillity issue will finally be gone. 10's here I come!

Just wanted to give a big thanks to dynaspark and companies like Chandler( dealt with him recently for a friends car) for running honest business' and doing all that they can to keep our LT's on the road. They're opti is without a doubt expensive but great customer service makes it worth it to me.

Paul

Last edited by Formula WS6; 01-13-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your Dynaspark broke and he fixed it for free? I was going to buy one for my 383 build but have read at least a few times now that people have had to send them back for warranty issues. Doesnt seem like they are as durable as they make them out to be.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Banned

Nice man
Old 01-13-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

The car still ran fine untill I'd hit it on spray. I sent it to them to see if there were any issues with it for piece of mind sake. Turns out I was right...sort of.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Nice sig pic and its about damn time that **** is fixed.....

10s here we come!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For an opti costing 600, the rotor should already been riveted at least, for not to come loose. So basically, any opti---dynaspark,msd, chandler's, oem etc. will be prone to rotor coming loose.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats exactly my point. Not so sure I want to buy one now.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Thats exactly my point. Not so sure I want to buy one now.
of the other incidences you've heard, what was the problems with those? Maybe my issue is isolated, dunno. I spoke with the secratary and those were the notes that Bob had left her so I never had a chance to speak with him.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I regret not going with Dynaspark sooner. I had issues with mine and come to find out it was my fault, I got coolant (steam) inside the cap and it still ran strong. It would miss above 6K, I chased plugs, wires, coil, icm and wiring. Finally sent it back to Bob and he took care of me, new cap cleaned base, new sensor and wheel, plus new vacuum hoses with return shipping was like $80. Then I had a timing chain break several months later and in trying to diagnose the crank no start I obviously had no spark. I checked all the wires and wasn't getting the signal to fire at the coil. I made the mistake of immediately blaming the opti. I called Bob and he requested I send it back. Within a day of him receiving it he said it was working properly. He went over everything with me on the phone to make sure the problem wasn't with my electrical system before sending it back. I received it back a few days later and was never charged to look at it or for return shipping! A+ for customer service and a quality product.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

To my knowledge, the dynaspark is supposed to be riveted with aluminum rivets. If yours came loose then I would expect them to fix it as that is one of the advantages they claim over other mfgs.

The Dynaspark rotor is equipped with aluminum rivets to hold the rotor contact in place and balanced to 6800 RPM.
Mine has held up great over the last few years. Plenty of 7K RPM pulls and 6500 RPM launches.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AChotrod
So your Dynaspark broke and he fixed it for free? I was going to buy one for my 383 build but have read at least a few times now that people have had to send them back for warranty issues. Doesnt seem like they are as durable as they make them out to be.

This is what I heard also is why I didnt buy one when I was having opti issues. The scoop is whoever makes the parts now is doin halfass jobs. Back in the day dynasparks were top notch