Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ran into problems..need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran into problems..need help asap

i started torquing my main caps and connecting rod bolts. i have my cam in with timing chain and oil pump on also...before i started torquing them down to the right amount my crank would turn over with eaze but now tht i started torquing everything down my crankshaft stops at a certain point both clockwise and counter clockwise. any idea whts the problem? it doesnt look like its hitting anything..i need help asap
Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to be clear - did you torque the main caps with the rods and timing chain already installed?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Teching In

i had my cam install the whole time and i just started torquing the main caps since i had them not tight enough then i moved onto the connecting rods and ever since i started doin tht it dont wanna turn over all the way
Old 01-13-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Having the cam in the block is not a problem.

The main caps should torqued in proper sequence without the rods in place and without the timing chain or oil pump in place. The thrust clearance should be checked at that point assuming the crank rotation is satisfactory.

The piston and rod assemby comes next before the timing chain and oil pump are installed.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would loosen connecting rods up some and see if it turns,that way u can figure out what's doing it!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Hi,
i would check my bearing and caps to make sure they are installed properly.
No reflection toward you or your skills. Check with crush plastigage for correct clearance/oil holes lined up block/bearings. Tighten main caps working from center out.do.......not......rotate engine while doing this procedure/use a progressive procedure and gradually work up to required specs.make sure mark on piston is facing front of car and your lubrication is adequate. This should solve issue.good luck and god bless........jim
Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Bearing mis-alignment or other mechanical interference problems.
Take it apart and figure out why....

Main caps and rod caps have to be in their correct positions! If they are mixed up you may screwed. If you didn't mark them and mixed them up sometimes you can figure out their placement by the "print" that is often left on the parting surfaces.

Plasti-gauge can be used for a "spot" check of bearing clearances. Make sure you use brand new plastigauge as the stuff shrinks with age and loses accuracy. This is done on a dry install of main bearings and crank with NO rotation. Proper use of mics is the best way to check these clearances IMO.

Normal short block assembly sequence is:
Crank in block, lubed and torqued. Spin for feel.
Pistons/rods installed 1 at a time, lubed, torqued, spin for feel between each piston. Important!
Cam/T-chain, oil-pump, ft/rear covers and so on...
Old 01-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Teching In

I figured out the problems thanks guys I have a bolt mixed up on tha cam sprocket..would y'all happen to know the part number for the cam sprocket bolts and cam bolts?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Hi,
contact your gm dealer parts. They can hook you up with numbers/parts/etc.
Have a blessed day...........jim