Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New LS9X clutch for F-body/GTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New LS9X clutch for F-body/GTO

We are now taking pre-orders for the LS9X clutch kit for F-body/GTO. The F-body required more custom parts to make it work so that is the reason it is priced higher than the Corvette kit. $1849.99

http://store.katechengines.com/ls9x-...ygto-p254.aspx

I'll announce a firmer delivery date the week of 1/24/11, but right now estimating about late February or early March. You can get your pre-orders in now to reserve your parts. Your credit card will be authorized but we will not charge until it ships.

-For 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird V8 & 2004-2006 GTO
-Twin disk clutch
-Clutch disks and pressure plate from the ZR1
-Aluminum flywheel with 6 bolt pattern for standard LS engines
-Includes Katech custom slave cylinder
-Includes pressure plate bolts
-Includes bellhousing spacer (less than .5", requires no modifications)
-8lbs lighter than the stock Z06 clutch/flywheel assembly
-Flywheel weighs 12.0lbs.
-Drives like a stock ZR1 - stock pedal feel
-Proven to 700rwhp (drag racing) 800rwhp (street)
-800+ ft-lbs torque capacity
-No neutral noise or chattering
-All of the benefits of a twin disk clutch and none of the trade-offs

Old 01-14-2011, 07:40 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a very interesting set up. Did that flywheel come from GM? Which other parts come from GM and which do not? What size are the discs?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TDP
That's a very interesting set up. Did that flywheel come from GM? Which other parts come from GM and which do not? What size are the discs?
It's a Katech flywheel. We've had great feedback on it in our existing applications (Corvette C6, V1 CTS-V, G8 GXP, 2010+ Camaro) and have now expanded to two more models. The GM parts in this kit are the pressure plate, bolts and disks. The rest of the parts we make. If I remember correctly the disks are around 11".
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
It's a Katech flywheel. We've had great feedback on it in our existing applications (Corvette C6, V1 CTS-V, G8 GXP, 2010+ Camaro) and have now expanded to two more models. The GM parts in this kit are the pressure plate, bolts and disks. The rest of the parts we make. If I remember correctly the disks are around 11".
Very nice! Its perfect for high HP/TQ cars that are primarily street-driven. It's odd how GM works. Originally they sold the "LS6" clutch kit separately. I found an old receipt from 1999 where I paid $60 for a new flywheel, $70 for the disc, and $70 for the PP Then shortly thereafter, it was sold strictly as a kit. I assume the components are sold separately, correct? Is the ZR1 the only car that came with this setup from the factory? Does your kit use a GM floater plate? Or is it a billet one?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Now in stock!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Is the higher capacity LS9R available ?

And what is the 1/2" bellhousing spacer for ? What does it affect installation wise ?

And why is the F-body version so much more expensive than the Vette or CTS-V ?

What's the difference ?

Mine wouldnt be going in any of the above cars, hence the question. Although I'm on an LS2 motor with a Camaro based T56 with Quicktime bellhousing.
So no idea which version I'd need ?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Is the higher capacity LS9R available ?

And what is the 1/2" bellhousing spacer for ? What does it affect installation wise ?

And why is the F-body version so much more expensive than the Vette or CTS-V ?

What's the difference ?

Mine wouldnt be going in any of the above cars, hence the question. Although I'm on an LS2 motor with a Camaro based T56 with Quicktime bellhousing.
So no idea which version I'd need ?
Yes, the LS9R is available.

The F-body did not have enough space to fit the LS9 clutch and slave cylinder, so we had to design a special slave cylinder and move the trans back roughly a half inch. Those extra parts are the reason for the increased cost.

Go by the trans you're using. So if your T56 and bellhousing is for F-body then that would be the kit you need.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:07 AM
9 Second Club

Yes, the LS9R is available.

The F-body did not have enough space to fit the LS9 clutch and slave cylinder, so we had to design a special slave cylinder and move the trans back roughly a half inch. Those extra parts are the reason for the increased cost.

Go by the trans you're using. So if your T56 and bellhousing is for F-body then that would be the kit you need.
That amount of movement would necessitate a new propshaft ( driveshaft ) on mine, as I cannot move the trans back that amount, nor could I move the engine forward.

Would there be enough room in the Quicktime steel hellhousing, or is it a simple fact that the BH height just isnt tall enough ?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
That amount of movement would necessitate a new propshaft ( driveshaft ) on mine, as I cannot move the trans back that amount, nor could I move the engine forward.

Would there be enough room in the Quicktime steel hellhousing, or is it a simple fact that the BH height just isnt tall enough ?
The bellhousing isn't tall enough. Assuming QT=F-body.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM
9 Second Club

The bellhousing isn't tall enough. Assuming QT=F-body.
yes the QT I am using is F-Body fitment.

Does the outer diameter of the cover foul the bellhousing, or is it simply the stack height ?

What is the stack height from crank flange to clutch fingers, as installed for an LS9 package ?

Baring in mind I'm currently using a triple disc which already has a shortened slave to accomodate it's extra height. Although It's outer diameter would definitely be smaller than the OEM LS9 clutch.

Quick Reply: New LS9X clutch for F-body/GTO