Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Tailshaft housing trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 Tailshaft housing trouble

I need to remove the tailshaft housing, I have all the bolts out, I've broken the pry points, and have tried knocking it off with a piece of 2x4 and hammer. The only thing holding it is Honda Ultra Flange, which is what we use at my Honda Dealership for the transmission housings.

I need some more suggestions on how to remove it. I have no clue what to try next. I'm stuck.

The transmission is still in the car BTW.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what a Honda ultra flange is.

1. Pull the driveshaft.
2. Remove the 8 bolts.
3. Using a prybar, pry the housing off to break the RTV seal. Nothing else to remove.
4. Remove housing.
5. Done.

When reinstalling, you have to align the reverse shift fork shaft using a screwdriver then the housing will slide back on. Replace the seal while your there.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Ultra flange is just like RTV seal but for honda's. I realize my car is not a honda, but it got the job done. I have already had the tailshaft housing off when the trans was out of the car, I must have misaligned something as it will not go into reverse or 6th, i've already eliminated other possible faults. So i need to take the housing off to take a look at everything.

As i mentioned i broke the pry points so how am i supposed to "Pry" the housing off now?
I cant get between the tailshaft housing and the main housing with anything.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WS.6Fbird
Ultra flange is just like RTV seal but for honda's. I realize my car is not a honda, but it got the job done. I have already had the tailshaft housing off when the trans was out of the car, I must have misaligned something as it will not go into reverse or 6th, i've already eliminated other possible faults. So i need to take the housing off to take a look at everything.

As i mentioned i broke the pry points so how am i supposed to "Pry" the housing off now?
I cant get between the tailshaft housing and the main housing with anything.
Now I am with you. Yeah those prypoints are a bit soft and even mine are a bit damaged. Might be able to create a new prypoint with a cut-off wheel. Make sure you use the biggest widest flatpoint screwdriver when prying.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Teching In

That did pop into my mind. Just pretty scared to do it.

So i'm not saying this is the best thing to do but it is an option i guess. What about using a puller and put it on output shaft that sticks out a bit from the housing? I know it cant be to good on the shaft seeing everything that is attached to it, but just throwing it out there for some approvel i guess. lol
Old 01-15-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In some rare cases, I've had to gently tap razor blades into the tail-case gap to split the RTV. This usually happens when someone uses some ultra gray or RightStuff tight bonding RTV that's overkill for T56 case sealing.

If you get it apart, just stick with the regular Black RTV...
Old 01-15-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

So i'm not saying this is the best thing to do but it is an option i guess. What about using a puller and put it on output shaft that sticks out a bit from the housing? I know it cant be to good on the shaft seeing everything that is attached to it, but just throwing it out there for some approvel i guess. lol
I would fear for a cracked housing doing this.

I used right stuff on the tail housing and yes its likely overkill cause RS is some bad *** ****. Will have to remember the razor blade trick if Heaven forbid I ever have to pull the housing off again..
Old 01-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Ahhh never heard of doin that, so just get a couple razor blades and slowly tap them between the housing?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Ahhh never heard of doin that, so just get a couple razor blades and slowly tap them between the housing?
Yeah. It should eventually split open.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:47 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
In some rare cases, I've had to gently tap razor blades into the tail-case gap to split the RTV. This usually happens when someone uses some ultra gray or RightStuff tight bonding RTV that's overkill for T56 case sealing.

If you get it apart, just stick with the regular Black RTV...
Exactly. The razor blade method is about the only out at this point. You'll have to slowly work it at least half way around. Then eventually you'll have a small gap enough to get a small screwdriver in. Then you're home free.
Sounds like the Honda sealant was overkill.
I've actually had people request that I use Ultra Gray, and this is exactly why I will not use it
Old 01-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Teching In

cool, I will try this method when i get a chance. Thanks guys.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

or a flat gasket scraper. the thin ones not the thick headed ones, this is the way i do it when i have two pieces stuck with adhesive.

Quick Reply: T-56 Tailshaft housing trouble