Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

sound system questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound system questions

whats up guys i have a 95 trans am with im guessing a non-monsoon sound setup but i wouldnt know as all but one speaker works the amp is missing and the previous owners half!@$ed a cheap sony head unit in it but that only plays out through the pass side coax in the hatch now my question is what setup should i use by that i mean what type of speakers would you guys recommend and the amp but i have a new sony xplod headunit to go in it but i heard xplod stuff and they sound terrible so any suggestions would help by the way im on a limited budget so any price efficient suggestions would help even more

thanks guys
Old 01-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Now save some of that money to buy a keyboard with punctuation keys!

Firebirds before 97 did not have a Monsoon system but there was a 10-speaker "premium" system available. The easiest way to tell is by whether you have speakers in the hatch area or not. The base audio system didn't have hatch speakers but the premium system did. If you have the 10-speaker system then you will find the amp behind the right quarter trim panel below the sail panel speaker next to the rear seat.

If it's intact and the wiring isn't butchered, you can use the same replacement speakers as a Monsoon system - Bazooka subs for the sail panels and 6.5" components for the doors (CDT from Kee Audio highly recommended). Otherwise, you may have to rewire - in which case your options for speakers are pretty much limited only by budget.