Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Gaskets

I'm considering putting headers on my car. I've run headers on my old SBC's and had problems with gasket leaks. At the cylinder head and at the header collector flange.

Which gasket is everyone running? How often do you have to re-torque the bolts? Any secrets to a leak free install?
Old 02-10-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

I have talked to a few people about this including the person doing my header install. He said he would re-use the GM header gaskets and definitely not the paper ones that come with the headers. I've also been told by many people to re-use the GM gaskets also. From what I have read, they have had no problems with leaks or anything, so that is comforting. But if you would want to, I guess buying new GM gaskets from the dealer would be alright too. It's all in what your comfortable with. Hope this helps!
Old 02-10-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Another vote for GM gaskets. They consist of a few layers of metal, and I have not heard one complaint about them ever leaking...

Tommy
Old 02-10-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TaTommyWS6
Another vote for GM gaskets. They consist of a few layers of metal, and I have not heard one complaint about them ever leaking...

Tommy