Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Where is the fuel pump ground? & Update on no power to fuel pump

Old 01-15-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where is the fuel pump ground? & Update on no power to fuel pump

Where can I find the fuel pump ground bolted to the chassis on a 1998 LS1 car (metal tank)?

Also, if anyone knows, where does the Racetronix fuel pump ground for the hotwire kit go? I don't think my car has it, as I didn't find any misc. wiring bolted to the alternator. However I noticed from the wiring harness going into my fuel pump is spliced and goes to two different things.

story of my fuel problem...
I'm extremely unhappy with my car at this point. Started the car a few times and ran fine after a professional engine replacement. Then drove the car home (5 miles) then it wouldn't start back up. Couldn't get power to the fuel pump. Replaced the Racetronix fuel pump with a brand new Racetronix. Still no fuel pump power. Fuse is fine, swapped relays with the Air Horn (I tested the air horn and it works) so I put that relay in place of the fuel pumps. Still no power. That's about as far electrical stuff I know, trying to do anything else with checking power throughout the circuit and I'm a dumbhead.

Last edited by candlelit; 01-15-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First you need to determine if you have a power or ground problem....
Check the fuse in the hot wire kit.

How do you know there is no power? Did you check the power at the tank with a volt meter? Do this first then move to the ground system.

A '98 has a factory black ground wire plus an auxiliary ground if you have a Racetronix harness. Typically the Racetronix ground is secured at the brake line bracket in front of the tank.

Call me I'll give you some more things to look for.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok here's what I got... figured pictures will help my situation some...

Where will I find that fuse? if I have that wiring, then I imagine there's a good chance that's my problem since I haven't inspected it.
So I see that redundant pump & relay chassis ground. besides that, there should be another 'factory' ground too right? (not sure where its at)

Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

well crap lol.

after all that work, I decided to go out in the dark and hunt it down with an Iphone flashlight. First I looked along the passenger side engine compartment for that fuse box for the hot wire kit and it wasn't there. so I decided to look around elsewhere and I saw a glimpse of what looked like that bright red 10ga wire underneath a black plastic hose. I noticed it had lots of slack, so I decided to investigate. Sure enough, along the driver side the little fuse box I drug out from behind the headlight/front clip. And THE FUSE IS BLOWN!!! Went to Wal-Mart, bought about 15 of them (just in case), popped one in and I finally have fuel power again! Started her up, and fuel pressure wound up to around 65psi. Drove around the block and it stayed over 60psi.

Lonnie - Much thanks for your support and business!

Moral to the story: know what is on your car before you do anything.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now you need to figure out what blew the fuse... they typically do not just fail.

Verify your wiring is not pinched somewhere.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

figured that part out today lol. decided to clean the car up and drive over to a buddies. well after popping another 2 fuses within 3 miles I knew I had a short somewhere... the hot wire was up against the back header primary & melting it. so I had my buddy bring my jack and got under the car in a parking lot. the wiring was also touching the I pipe behind the transmission. so I just tucked her up further from the headers & exhaust with a couple of zip ties. since then, 30 miles and no problems
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

I just installed the same kit on my 98. I take it that the optional body ground upgrade cable bolts to the body and in between the negative battery cable and negative side of the battery?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the fuel pump ground? & Update on no power to fuel pump