General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering return line leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power steering return line leak?

Hi, found where my power steering is leaking from , its at the bottom where the rack and pinion is, I'm not exactly sure what the line is called, can any one help me out or point me in the direction where i can buy new ones

removed lines .

front line ( not leaking)

rear line ( leaking at end )
Old 01-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there are no holes in the line, I bet all you need are new O rings for each end. Save you a lot of money just replacing those.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Hmm i didnt notice any orings when i removed the lines. power steering fluid blowing through when screwed into place around

Last edited by my2kTA; 01-15-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the looks of it, there should be. Don't quote me, but... try looking inside the holes where the ends go. The oring or its remains may still be there... I can't see how that would seal without an oring either. You'll likely need a small pick to remove the old ones. and make SURE you remove the entire oring or its remains or you're gonna have another nice leak when you put a new oring in there on top of the old one.

I just took a look at a parts breakdown and those lines most definately are supposed to have o-rings. Should be able to pick em up at any parts store.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I think the rings are a special size. I was able to get them through RMS Auto Parts. (Haven't been able to find them anywhere else.)
Old 03-21-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by my2kTA
Hmm i didnt notice any orings when i removed the lines. power steering fluid blowing through when screwed into place around

Did you ever figure this out?

Mine has a pin-hole in the line. I'm not finding a new line for sale anywhere, GM wants to sell me a new rack.

Mine is flare on one end and o-ring on the other end. If it were 2x flare, then no prob, but I'm not having any luck finding tubing with that o-ring fitting on it already.

I'm leaning towards getting one from a junkyard, but I'd rather find a new line even if I have to bend it myself. Also, not sure if a yard will want to sell me a little line htat makes their rack less valuable if it's missing.

Who knows where I can get the new line, bent or unbent, with an o-ring fitting on one end?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

I ended up visiting a rack & pinion repair place and they sold me one for $30. It turned out to be the same as the one I pulled off an LT1 at the junkyard. They told me they rebend them all the time to make them fit so thats what we did. It was a little tough but my dad had a bender which made things a bit easier. It doesnt follow the same route as the original but it clears everything.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine wore through by being rubbed on by some black plastic piece that if I recall correctly was part of the laternator. You can see that obviously that's what happened, the line lookes like someone was whittling on it with a knife.

Quick Reply: power steering return line leak?