Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

got caught driving on a suspended license in cali.........questions inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default got caught driving on a suspended license in cali.........questions inside

I am currently on vacation in SE Cali (salton sea area) I am from arizona and had never been on a quad before, so my cousins took me out to a local place to go dirt biking and quadding (state park). to make a long story short my cousin pulled the "whip and flag" off of the rented quad cause he was doing tricks and it was getting in the way/getting damaged. after he got off I hopped on (seconds later) and started heading out, I made it less than probably 300 yards from the camp and got stopped by the state park cops due to no flag.

I was honest with the cop and told him my license was suspended, and after that he asked if i had any wants or warrants and I explained to him that I did in az due to unpaid tickets. He asked why the tickets werent paid and I explained that I have been unemployed since shortly after the tickets were issued and that i have 2 vehicles that are for sale to pay the tickets off.

I got cited for driving on a suspended license (I was unaware that you needed a license to drive one in a state park, as were all the people i was with) also I was aparrently on a county line (san diego county and imperial county) he wrote the ticket for san diego county (courthouse is 2 hours away, imperial counties courthouse is 20 minutes away)

how can I fight this and does anyone know how much this ticket is (no fine on the ticket). court date is 3/15/11 at 7ish am
Old 01-16-2011, 03:09 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you fight it, you can send in for a written trial I think. Out of all the tickets I've got, I ended up just paying them to get them over with, or getting traffic school along with them to keep the points off. Drove an hour and a half a couple times to take care of them.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a misdemeanor, you can't just pay it. I'd lawyer up, or thoroughly study ATV laws before you go in person. I don't know if you have to have a license to operate an ATV, and seeing as such, the ticket isnt valid.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I stand corrected...

"Driving while license is suspended/revoked off road as well as on road is against the law. (14601 C.V.C.)

But a 15 y/o kid with no license can ride one legally.. stupid *** law.

California's great..
Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

i believe you can also request change of venue so they can send you to a closer court also if you cant pay do community service
Old 01-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
I stand corrected...

"Driving while license is suspended/revoked off road as well as on road is against the law. (14601 C.V.C.)

California's great..
wow....WTF type law is that!!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

that sucks. i have just paid my tickets even if i knew the cop pulled me over just to be a dick. like the 7mph over on cinco de mayo. i was going home from work.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jester1614
I am currently on vacation in SE Cali (salton sea area) I am from arizona and had never been on a quad before, so my cousins took me out to a local place to go dirt biking and quadding (state park). to make a long story short my cousin pulled the "whip and flag" off of the rented quad cause he was doing tricks and it was getting in the way/getting damaged. after he got off I hopped on (seconds later) and started heading out, I made it less than probably 300 yards from the camp and got stopped by the state park cops due to no flag.

I was honest with the cop and told him my license was suspended, and after that he asked if i had any wants or warrants and I explained to him that I did in az due to unpaid tickets. He asked why the tickets werent paid and I explained that I have been unemployed since shortly after the tickets were issued and that i have 2 vehicles that are for sale to pay the tickets off.

I got cited for driving on a suspended license (I was unaware that you needed a license to drive one in a state park, as were all the people i was with) also I was aparrently on a county line (san diego county and imperial county) he wrote the ticket for san diego county (courthouse is 2 hours away, imperial counties courthouse is 20 minutes away)

how can I fight this and does anyone know how much this ticket is (no fine on the ticket). court date is 3/15/11 at 7ish am
you might have been to honest!..did u have a arizona driver license,if so you might have been able to play dumb and just handed him the card..he might had let you scott free..Good luck though
Old 01-16-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
I stand corrected...

California's great..
Ya my friend got hammered for the same thing, only in the great state of California. The desert is full of corrupt rangers/cops.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

for a first offense most judges will drop the charges to a driving without a valid license as opposed to driving on suspended. you should get off fairly easy if youve never been convicted of driving on suspended before. youll get off easier than that if you get your license back before your court date.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LTXBOI
you might have been to honest!..did u have a arizona driver license,if so you might have been able to play dumb and just handed him the card..he might had let you scott free..Good luck though

I didnt have my wallet on me It was in the tahoe tow vehicle, I told him i didnt have it due to not wanting to lose it. The officer just went off of what i told him so he never actually saw my id.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

holy shittt mine is susp right now i didnt even know u get cited on a off road vehical...bummer dude hope it works out for ya
Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

reason 10234237 to get the **** out of cali
Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Launching!

if you regain your license before the court date they will drop it. If not then there is a fine of about $500+. My suggestion would be to get as many extensions as possible, Drag it out like 6 months, and try and get your license.

I got Pulled over on suspended license when I had my DUI, Cop could of arrested me on site 10 days in the slammer. Let me go for no license and speeding. Got a lawyer, $1000 later and the charge was dismissed. and got traffic school to prevent the point from going on my record, since I initially got pulled over for speeding.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConElite
if you regain your license before the court date they will drop it. If not then there is a fine of about $500+. My suggestion would be to get as many extensions as possible, Drag it out like 6 months, and try and get your license.

I got Pulled over on suspended license when I had my DUI, Cop could of arrested me on site 10 days in the slammer. Let me go for no license and speeding. Got a lawyer, $1000 later and the charge was dismissed. and got traffic school to prevent the point from going on my record, since I initially got pulled over for speeding.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

mine is sus right now as well, I was late on a fix it ticket and it went from 20 to 900 bigs ones. I've got court for it in april. Until then I'll be driving my 83 Datsun Z with body cancer and no window tint.

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i drove almost a year with suspended license got pull over 3 times and never got caught for it
make sure you keep all your paperwork in order and up to date and be polite to the leo and don't tell the leo anything you don't have to and there is a good chance that they wont run your info and you will be on your way
Old 01-22-2011, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
tried it..aint no better in other states..colorado really sucked
Old 01-22-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

im thinking either Arizona or Alaska
both states you can conceal carry and dont have smog laws so they seem 100x more appealing based on that alone
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Launching!

depends where in AZ. both tucson and pheonix metro areas require smog testing. but its a joke. all they have ever done to me is check codes. no codes= you pass

Quick Reply: got caught driving on a suspended license in cali.........questions inside