Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Damn this car is fun

Old 01-16-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Damn this car is fun

Took the 06 to an instructor school at Harris Hill near San Marcos, Texas.

With the help of a Valentine 1, the trip down was pretty quick and uneventful.

Throwing the car down to 3rd and passing a line of cars, blowing past 100mph in very short order was not very smart, but still left me with a big grin.

The track was drenched in a drizzling rain. And with well worn tires, the center nav screen has "Traction control" and "stability control" burned in.

But the car handled it all very well and predictable.

And best of all, sprited trip down, a bunch of wet track hot laps and a more sane trip back still yielded near 20mpg.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you had a blast. I still need to do a track day / road course some day. The only track that had those kind of events near me just closed this past year (Gateway Intl Raceway near St. Louis). I think the next closest place to me is easily 5 hours
Old 01-16-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, these do make for a nice highway cruiser, yet will still have good performance to keep it fun! I try to take it easy (for many reasons), but every so often it's fun to let her loose, within reason. A track would be really fun and perhaps someday, I hope.

Ps - did you try it with everything disengaged (hold down TC for 5 sec)? Curious just how squirrly it gets or not...under controlled conditions, would be fun to 'drift' it around a bit.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

nice , i like having the option of blowing by ppl on the highway especially hondas. i dont know why.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by .Houdini.
Sounds like you had a blast. I still need to do a track day / road course some day. The only track that had those kind of events near me just closed this past year (Gateway Intl Raceway near St. Louis). I think the next closest place to me is easily 5 hours
San Marcos is a 4 hour drive for me.

You guys need to get over seat time.

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Ps - did you try it with everything disengaged (hold down TC for 5 sec)? Curious just how squirrly it gets or not...under controlled conditions, would be fun to 'drift' it around a bit.
Too wet. Going off track would have been a real mess.

I've run the V at H2 before with everything turned off. Very stable, but you can really feel the weight of this behemmoth

Originally Posted by mikeyc34
nice , i like having the option of blowing by ppl on the highway especially hondas. i dont know why.
For some reason, it doesn't seem to be limited to Hondas ... for me, at least.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Im here in san antonio, And today i took my stock V to work, And man i dont ever want to drive it in the rain again, The wheel hop gets really bad when the streets are wet. "or is it just mine"..I really need to replace them axles, or sell it, should of bought a Duramax instead.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Racing-E...92_BCDDR-M.jpg

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Racing-E...79_9UwAs-M.jpg

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Racing-E...83_rPxvD-M.jpg

Now I would like to say that I was passing that Mustang. Sorry ... I cannot tell a lie. I do have a pretty good excuse, though ...

I delayed installing new tires, planning to use up what was left of the GY Eagles that were pretty close to teh wear bars. Mother nature didn't cooperate.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Man I wish I could get over to San Marcos, Im like 45 min away! But I heard its pretty expensive to run your car on the road course there.

Originally Posted by chevydriveronly
Im here in san antonio, And today i took my stock V to work, And man i dont ever want to drive it in the rain again, The wheel hop gets really bad when the streets are wet. "or is it just mine"..I really need to replace them axles, or sell it, should of bought a Duramax instead.
What year is your V and how long have you owned it? If its still covered by warranty, just get the axles replaced. It makes a huge difference! Mine already has the upgraded axles and I get relatively No wheel hop at all in the rain, only if I really get on it. Only thing that sucks in the rain for me is the Goodyear RSA tires that come stock.
Sorry for the OP
Old 01-20-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by V-CIOUS
Man I wish I could get over to San Marcos, Im like 45 min away! But I heard its pretty expensive to run your car on the road course there.
Look for an HPDE group or a track day group.

If you run with NASA-Texas, it'll run you about $300/weekend. That's eight 30 minute sessions and includes an instructor.

That's cheap seat/track time.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good! I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Damn this car is fun