Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine apart. Won't use for 18 months. Rebuild now? or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine apart. Won't use for 18 months. Rebuild now? or wait?

Hey guys,

I got my LS1 drop out in the summer of last year for my project conversion car (66 Nova). I probably won't be ready for the engine to run for about 12 to 18 months.

When I got it, I knew I'd be camming it, and swapping out heads. It had a 3 month warranty when I got it, and knowing I wouldn't fire it for about 18 months, I got jumpy and tore it apart (to see if anything was toasted inside it).

Cam bearings looked a tad wore (copperish streaks) so I started worrying about the mains/rods. Curiosity got the best of me, and I took it apart. From our initial observations, main and rod bearings looked OK. Made me wish I would have just left it alone, but since we had the caps off, I'm just going to get a stock refresh job on it (all bearings, re-ring, and hone, etc). I won't know 100% for sure what it needs until I get it to a builder. But I'm very confident that it will only need a refresh.

Anyways, the shortblock has been covered by a plastic bag, and hase been sitting in my garage since summer.

So here is my question. Which one is better?

1. Continue to let it sit as it is now, and get it rebuilt a month or so before it gets installed and ran? My concern with this is that corrosion may start to develop in places I don't want it to be, just because things are still kinda moist, gunky, and carbon covered. I would think that the power jet wash cleaning portion of the rebuild would remove any corrosion that might develop, as well as the crank polish and honing. But would there be anything left that could cause me issues?

or

2. Get it rebuilt now and let it sit with break-in lube for the 12 -18 months. My concern with that is there may be issues with corrosion by time I go to install it. There is a chance that I can put the engine down in my basement so it would be stored in a low humidity setting. I know crate engines probably sit for a while, right?

The jittery side of me wants to get it rebuilt now, just so that part is over with and I know where I'm at with the bottom end. That way, when it comes time to spec a cam, I might have some extra cash saved up for some headwork (kinda makes it easier to justify when you spread your labor costs out over time). But if it will have a potential to cause issues by sitting that long, I'll wait.

And is there anything I should do to help with storage if I leave it as is?

Thanks in advance for any replies!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd clean everything up, drench with WD40 and bag it.
I wouldn't "build" a engine and then let it to sit for 18 months. I would worry about ring tension and any valvespring that stays "compressed" for that length of time-probably not a big thing but I'm pretty ****. Rust formation is another storage gremlin you have to deal with.

Your plans may change in that time as well.....
Parts for your engine might be cheaper in the future and you may have more options as more companies climb onto the LSx parts bandwagon.

Storage tip: put all the loose fasteners back into their correct spots. Any that you cannot bag sperately with a post it note stating where it goes in the bag. You don't have to remember this way...

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was told not to use wd-40 and to use axle grease instead. Then when you get ready, the wd-40 will take the axle grease off.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Get the parts, leave them in the original packaging, put a coat of motor oil in the bores, and bag it. You are doing the exact same thing I did. I got my engine home, looked good from the outside, but I tore into it anyways to make sure things were all good. Found some serious rust inside the #8 bore. Turns out I had to take the motor back. End result was I am getting it bored 30 over, going with forged pistons and rods, keeping the stock crank. Will be a 370ci when its done. Send me a PM if you want to know more about what im doing. My vote is, get all the parts you need, wait, then assemble when you have them all. Load it up, take it somewhere and get it dyno tuned. Then, store it again with all ports covered and plugged. By the way, cam bearings will show a little brass in them. They are still good. Brand new motors will even look worse then they really are. I have never seen a "brand new looking" bearing after an engine has run. It just doesn't exist. If it had deep groves or scores, then you might have an issue. Also, for a few more bucks you can prob go forged!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by technicalninja
I'd clean everything up, drench with WD40 and bag it.
I wouldn't "build" a engine and then let it to sit for 18 months. I would worry about ring tension and any valvespring that stays "compressed" for that length of time-probably not a big thing but I'm pretty ****. Rust formation is another storage gremlin you have to deal with.

Your plans may change in that time as well.....
Parts for your engine might be cheaper in the future and you may have more options as more companies climb onto the LSx parts bandwagon.

Storage tip: put all the loose fasteners back into their correct spots. Any that you cannot bag sperately with a post it note stating where it goes in the bag. You don't have to remember this way...

Just my 2 cents...
I am feeling the same way. Rebuilding the basics and bagging it. LSx technology has changed sooooo much, stuff thought to be radical 3 years ago is tame today....