PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a CAN bus expert- Want to run a Lotus Elise dash with LS3 computer

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a CAN bus expert- Want to run a Lotus Elise dash with LS3 computer

I have a 2006 Lotus Elise and I am going to swap a LS3.

I am looking for an electrical guru who is an expert in the CAN bus system. I need to figure out how to make the CAN on my Lotus dash, communicate with a LS computer. I was told that the LS3 comuter does have a CAN bus output. However, I need to find a way for the computer to communicate with my stock Lotus dash. I have heard that it would be a long shot that they would be the same as apparently there are different types of CAN

This is a big obstacle for my conversion. Is there anyone that can make this happen or do you know of anyone? The other thing that I need help figuring out is if my Lotus Elise drive by wire can be incorporated to control the LS3 or if I will have to use the GM pedal. It would be nice if I could keep my current pedal system as I am not sure if I will be able to make the GM set up work/fit.

Also, if I go with one of the computers from GM that you can buy for the LS3 crate engine, is it tunable? I will at least be adding headers and most likely a cam.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. I am clueless on this myself and need to locate someone that could help.
Thanks,
Old 01-16-2011, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

sounds like a long shot, i guess its possible, and in theory it could work, i no nothing of the lotus bus or how it works. but im guessing you want to use a low speed communication to communicate with the ls3 ecm? you can do it, does the lotus offer a high speed data communication bus that could possibly communicate with the ls3 ecm? yes the ecm is tunable and does the lotus have a theft detterent module or anything that would keep it from starting?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that two devices use the same hardware buss is not enough for them to operate together. They must also be programmed to work together and my guess is that these are not.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gary Z
The fact that two devices use the same hardware buss is not enough for them to operate together. They must also be programmed to work together and my guess is that these are not.
not completely true, when we put the ls1 in my friends s10 it communicated with the factory s10 gauge cluster, the sdm, and the body control module, no programming needed on the truck size except for programming the security system, granted they were both gm vehicles. it still worked
Old 01-17-2011, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1_fast_gto
not completely true, when we put the ls1 in my friends s10 it communicated with the factory s10 gauge cluster, the sdm, and the body control module, no programming needed on the truck size except for programming the security system, granted they were both gm vehicles. it still worked
Thats a GM to a GM bro.. lol
Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
Thats a GM to a GM bro.. lol
thanks for clarifying what i said.... bro...
Old 01-17-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock they use toyota engines are the rest of the electronics toyota also?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:58 AM

Default Conversion help!

Hi,

Did you ever complete the conversion to a LS3? I'm checking in to want I can convert my 2006 Lotus Elise to. I'm also a Corvette guy and have a LS1 & LS7.

Thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: I need a CAN bus expert- Want to run a Lotus Elise dash with LS3 computer