General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strange change in psi after oil change.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange change in psi after oil change.

On a recent trip out I noticed my oil preasure was around 38psi while running 65 and 70mph...my car is a a4. At idle it was sitting around 25 to 30 psi, and 50 on wot. I was dew for a oil change.

I used Castrol high mileage oil and I got a free fram Extended guard oil filter. I used 5w-30.

My oil psi is now idling at 40psi when warm and when cruising it stays around 50 and up to 70psi on wot. When cold the preasure stays at 60 cruising until the temp gets up.

I noticed on the fram box it said for synthetic oil...didn't know if that would make a difference.

Is it normal to see an increase this much in psi when changing oil.

Car has 136,000 miles.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev SS
On a recent trip out I noticed my oil preasure was around 38psi while running 65 and 70mph...my car is a a4. At idle it was sitting around 25 to 30 psi, and 50 on wot. I was dew for a oil change.

I used Castrol high mileage oil and I got a free fram Extended guard oil filter. I used 5w-30.

My oil psi is now idling at 40psi when warm and when cruising it stays around 50 and up to 70psi on wot. When cold the preasure stays at 60 cruising until the temp gets up.

I noticed on the fram box it said for synthetic oil...didn't know if that would make a difference.

Is it normal to see an increase this much in psi when changing oil.

Car has 136,000 miles.
Yes, when going thicker, but that is not your case. FIRST THING - DO NOT USE FRAM!!!!!! There are dozens of posts about problems with their filters and personally I'd use a Mobil1 or K&N filter. Switch it out and see if that solves your issue.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry i kinda typed it wrong.

That was the way the oil preassure was acting before. Just in the last few days before I changed the oil it started getting low.

I know everyone complains about fram. I have never had any problems...I will change it this weekend prolly thought.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just change the filter first & not the rest of the oil & see what happens.
Run some before/after tests to get some good data & then let us know exactly what happens. Keep the tests similar at temp/conditions, etc.
I'be curious if just changing the filter does anything at all.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I mean the OIL preasure was always pretty high even when I bought the car.

It just droppped pretty bad the last few days...changed the oil and it went back up.

Just to clarify the oil Preassure is holding pretty high now it's not low. Just wondering what would cause it to have dropped down like that.

Any danger in preasure being hight...which I thought 40 idling and 50 cruising when warm was good.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM oil pressure gauges just tell you have or don't have oil pressure. Make sure it doesn't flatline or peg full and you don't have to worry about anything.

Search this Thread