LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clutch Bolt Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Bolt Issues

So a couple of months ago I bought a Spec 3+ and Steel flywheel from Byunspeed, cause they had a little sale. I started dropping the tranny and removing stuff about a month ago and then I had the flywheel torqued up there nice and right. A buddy and I continued last Friday and we started to torque down the pressure plate bolts into the flywheel. On to the last bolt and it wasn't torquing right? I kept trying to wait for that click in the wrench but it didn't come and eventually the bolt snapped and the threaded part was left in the flywheel.

Back to my dilemma. Turns out the bolts never really fit. I put the stock ones back in (silly me) but they are out now and I'm going to order new ones and get the bolt taken outta the flywheel. My dad checks this all out and tells me that the 3/8 pressure plate bolts don't go into the flywheel right? They will turn once, but not go any further. The flywheel holes are not stripped, but it did take a buddy and I some force to get them in there. The bolts are stripped though just not the flywheel. What bolts do I order now? The stock 3/8 bolts don't fit and my dad says I need a metric size? It just doesn't seem right at all to me.

Can someone tell me which size pressure plate bolts I need to make it work? And can someone give me some links to some ARP bolts or whatever that are good replacements for the stock Flywheel/Pressure Plate bolts so I can swap them out.

Thanks,
Nate
Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Samething happened to me. I just used some 3/8 grade 8 bolts from the local hardware store. I just made sure the shoulder was the same size, or just a hair smaller than stock. The flywheel has enough room for a 2" long bolt IIRC. Ive had no problems what so every with them. other people have used grade 9 bolt. Search around I'm sure you'll find that thread.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Launching!

for my pressure plate bolts i used a 14mm socket. just the sock bolts. the apr P/N i dunno i can get the stock ones P/N for you, or i think shbox has them too
Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

McLeod is the ONLY company that sells stock pressure plate bolts but they are around $55 for a set. I ended up going to a hardware store and buying 6 new bolts for like $7.50. They are about a half inch longer, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply: Clutch Bolt Issues