Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Fittipaldi Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fittipaldi Wheel Question

I have spent about an hour total trying to understand/decide how a set of Fittapaldi wheels for sale by a local seller will ultimately fit on a 2000 Camaro based upon the wheel sticky and backspace chart on the wheel section here on the board. I am not a friend or acquintance with this seller and the car is stuck on the lift in my shop so taking the wheels for a trial is not an option.

These wheels were on and purchased for a C4 1992 Corvette years ago. All 4 wheels have 7 1/4 inches of backspacing as measured from the wheel mounting flange to the outer edge of the wheel. The wheels are 17 inches by 9 inches. I like the style and would like to try to make the wheels work if possible.

I have been looking at the wheel sticky post and in particular the offset guidle included in that post. I'm STILL am not sure how or if these wheels will fit the car. Ideally I would like the wheels to sit "out" more so than the stock 16 inch wheels on the car which sit inside the wheel lip and look wimpy. By "out" I would like the wheels to be close on vertical line with the fender lip to the ground like all of us want. If adapters are needed to make proper fitment that's OK. I am not much at all in using spacers greater than 1/4 inch thickness.

The wheel chart shows differences for front wheel offsets and rear wheel offsets. There are some that are close to the 7 1/4 inch backspace but are difference width wheels so it's hard to judge.

Anyone with a real specific knowledge that could offer advice and information?

I look forward to hearing from you!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

At 7 1/4" backspace they certainly won't stick out any. Your car could handle 6" maybe 6 1/2" but 7 1/2" is going to be a problem in the front with insufficent clearance with inner fenders and suspension components. That backspace would have some possible issues on the rear inside as well. with a 7 1/2" backspace on a 9" wheel that only leaves an 1 1/2" to the outside so it possible would look wimpier than what you have.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it helps you any, I have 17x9.5" rims on my car, with 7 1/8" backspacing. The point where you have to be concerned the most, is the top of the spindle where it curves outward, just below the ball joint. That's a "hard" point.

Off the top of my head, I don't know EXACTLY how much room there is between my wheel and the spindle.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Thank you both for the response and information.

I went ahead and bought the wheels since I was able to buy them for $100.00 for the set. I figure that is almost scrap price and the wheels are very nice with good centers.

I will check the fitment and rub areas later this week when I can get the car on the lift.

thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Fittipaldi Wheel Question