Found a great deal on an 08 Duramax, should I take it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Found a great deal on an 08 Duramax, should I take it?

So I'm been shopping for a truck for the last couple of months and today I stumbled upon a great deal. It's an 08 Chevy 2500HD Duramax extended cab with 117k miles on it. The only problem is that it has a hard time starting right now - I scanned it and got a low fuel rail pressure code on my handheld which makes me think it's either a filter problem, pump problem, or injector problem.

They are selling it for 14k and I could get the money first thing this week, should I take it? Are any of the problems associated with low fuel rail pressure a huge hassle and/or deal breaker?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:32 AM
Staging Lane

RUN LIKE HELL!! Major pain in the ***!!! And a lot of money!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ouch, really? I guess I'll keep looking at gassers then...
Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

I would get a gasoline truck, unless you will be hauling **** all the time. If this truck is going to see limited towing and basically just trips to the hardware store, stick to a gas truck, it will be cheaper to buy, maintain etc...FYI, there are several things that can cause low fuel rail pressure in a duramax, injection pump, fuel rail regulator/valve, fuel filter etc...
Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Launching!

not to thread hijack but to the above post...really? i was looking at a 08+ diesel Dmax and have a few friends with diesels and they dont give them any problems. thought you could run these things to 200k miles and they were bulletproof?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Teching In

That's a great deal! That's well below blue book. My first Duramax was a great truck I sold it to my boss with 175k without a single issue. It now has 245k and had one injector replaced. I now have an 08 but it only has 45k. It sounds like a lift pump issue or check the bleeder valve on the fuel rail. It could be the water sensor on the bottom of the filter. Don't be scared of the truck borrow a little extra money to fix the problem.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

your standard maintenance will run more than it will for a gas truck...doesn't mean they are unreliable, just more to maintain. If **** does break in regards to the motor/ancillary components, expect to pay more for sure though.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, I'm kinda torn. It's a great deal and I'll be able to pay it off this year, but if it's going to have ongoing problems then I don't wanna mess with it. I'm gonna see if they will fix whatever it is and try to talk them down a little more.

I wanna find an extended cab, V8, with a good sized bed b/c I will be moving like 4 times in the next 2 years (two of those moves will be 2700 miles each). Plus I would like it to be less than 150k b/c all kinds of stuff breaks around that mileage. I would like to keep it less than $15k b/c I want to pay it off this year and I have $9k in the bank. Any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

You should be able to find late model Silverado 1500s in that range..quick search on craigs turned up quite a few, here are a couple...

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/2162618840.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/2164862451.html
Old 01-18-2011, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would ask them if you can have it looked over by your mechanic. See if you or they can determine what is wrong so you know exactly what you are getting into.

This problem could be cause by many of the things listed above. Several of these are just lack of maintenance. If that is the case, just do all the maintenance when you get it. One thing going wrong doesn't necessarily indicate the truck is going to fall apart. I have many friends with DMax's and they are all trouble free and tow loads all the time.

Why hasn't this place fixed it? That is what would concern me. Have they figured out what is wrong and it costs more than they want to spend and that is why they are selling it with this problem?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
You should be able to find late model Silverado 1500s in that range..quick search on craigs turned up quite a few, here are a couple...

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/2162618840.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/2164862451.html
Those are not bad, but they're in Houston. Right now it's almost impossible for me to go anywhere during the week, and trying to work out financing on the weekend is a major PITA.

On another note, I will most likely get them to fix whatever it is and do a full once-over myself before I even get the loan for it.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be very careful there because if there are injector problems in diesels it can cost a fortune. I don't know much about them but thats just what I was told to look out for when I was looking at buying one.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
I would be very careful there because if there are injector problems in diesels it can cost a fortune. I don't know much about them but thats just what I was told to look out for when I was looking at buying one.
Yea I've definitely heard the same thing. At least $1200-1400 for a set of injectors. I'm just weighing my options and getting some opinions before I put down my savings on anything.

As a sidenote I would just like to say that Carmax = wayyy overpriced. Oh and I can't stand dealerships that won't put prices on the windows.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
Those are not bad, but they're in Houston. Right now it's almost impossible for me to go anywhere during the week, and trying to work out financing on the weekend is a major PITA.

On another note, I will most likely get them to fix whatever it is and do a full once-over myself before I even get the loan for it.
yeah I was just posting examples..I am sure you can find similar deals in your neck of the woods..If you can get them to perform the work and scoop the truck for the same price, by all means that is a helluva deal...
Old 01-18-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Offer them 12k. Tell them that the cost of fixing a fuel system on a new diesel engine is very expensive, more expensive than you first thought.

I'm willing to bet that something is wrong with the fuel filter.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Dmaxs are common rail trucks. Low rail pressure means it's not injectors. Gm warrantys the injectors to 200k anyways. Duramaxs have high pressure fuel systems and could have trashed the paper element in the filter. Or possibly could be a weak lift pump
Old 01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

my bros.. had a problem with it starting up just how you mentioned... gm ended up replacing the whole fuel system.. they could never find what was the problem after 4-5 trips to the dealership.. so i could imagine it can cost a fortune.. and it was a duramax as well