Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Windows sometime work...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows sometime work...

Hey guys. I can be driving and try to roll down the window in my 2000 T/A WS6, and nothing happeneds. I rock back and forth on the switch and then out of no where they work. Or, I can turn the car off, then back on and they work. Today, they wouldnt do anything all morning. When i got to work, I got my ohm meter, and i turned the car on, and the windows started working, so I really couldnt test to see if I wasnt getting voltage.

You guys have any idea what is going on with my windows?
p.s. the motors are good, when they roll up and down, they do so just fine... Its getting them to do anything sometimes is my problem.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Teching In

check this out, i had somewhat the same problem and my motors were good, theres a vid of how much difference it made on the 2nd page

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...down-kits.html
Old 01-21-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same problem in my camaro on the driver's side. Most times I can bang on the door and it starts working, but that is becoming less effective. It seems like a deteriorating connection either at the switch or the motor. it's just too cold outside to play around with it. By the way, when it does work it is not slow, so I don't believe it's the typical motor problem people write about.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The motors ARE bad.

There is a thermal cutoff switch inside the motor casing that senses when the motor starts working harder as the glass closes up. This switch cuts power to the motor so it doesn't burn out. When this cutoff switch goes bad, even the normal resistance of the glass moving up and down will cause it to cut power to the motor.

Replacing motors with OEM motors will just replace garbage with garbage. These things were designed in the 60's for GM cars and they just don't cut it almost half a century later. The least costly escape from this situation is to replace with a Doorman brand motor. This is a new design that is supposed to be sealed better from contaminants and we have yet to see anyone reporting issues with them on this site. The other benefit is that they are 100% new and not rebuilt.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

I had a similar problem to that and it ended up being my switch that went bad, got a new one from a junkyard for $5.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by WS6_101
I had a similar problem to that and it ended up being my switch that went bad, got a new one from a junkyard for $5.
Was your problem all the time? Usually, a bad switch is not intermittent.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Was your problem all the time? Usually, a bad switch is not intermittent.
At first I had to turn the car off or play with the switches until it finally started to work again. It eventually stopped working all together so I immediately went and got a new switch and it has been working ever since.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same intermittent problem. I replaced the switch today, and it works fine now. I wouldn't doubt that the switch connection onto the harness was the problem. I'll run some tests on the old one to see if I find a specific switch.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

ShawnSSpeed, where in Dallas are you?

To every one else reading this, I HIGHLY recommend getting this kit for your F-body.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Save the manuals!

At first I had to turn the car off or play with the switches until it finally started to work again. It eventually stopped working all together so I immediately went and got a new switch and it has been working ever since.
How long has it been "working?"
Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
How long has it been "working?"
It's been about 8 months without a problem
Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Teching In

It's been about 8 months without a problem
Wait so i kinda have the same problem. I roll the indow down and it stops a few inches down, if i wat a few minutes, it works again but not for long. U guys think its the switch?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IneedAws6
Wait so i kinda have the same problem. I roll the indow down and it stops a few inches down, if i wat a few minutes, it works again but not for long. U guys think its the switch?
It's a possibility that it could be the switch, but as stated above it could definitely be the motors...you could always got to a junkyard and get a switch for a few bucks and take 5 minutes to check
Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Save the manuals!

I missed a detail in the OP.

If the window won't go up (or down) = most likely probably a bad motor.
If the window won't go down = could be a bad switch.

One thing to look at is the driver's side switch:
- The driver's window is wired from the driver's side window switch on the driver's console to the express down module and then to the motor.
- The passenger window is wired from the passenger's side window switch on the driver's console to the passenger's side switch on the passenger's console and then to the window.

So, if you have a problem on the passenger side, the issue could be with either switch. Testing both switches may help localize the problem.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is an intermitten problem and jiggling the switches fixes it then the switches or their connections are the issue. If the problem is that the windows move some and then stop and you have to wait a few minutes for them to move again then the problem is the heat resistant strips in the motors. You can replace the motors with new ones that will likely eventually fail too or follow my writeup on repairing the ones you have by bypassing the resistor strips. My way will not fix the voltage issue that causes the passenger motor to go slow, that is a different issue all together.

My fix for bad window motors: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tors-pics.html

To fix slow passenger window: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...indow-fix.html