Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping LS1 into 88 camaro need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question swapping LS1 into 88 camaro need help!!

I am going to put my LS1 from my 98 SS in to a 88 and i need some hep with where i can find the wiring harness to do the swap. i am not sure about what else i will need but the shop told me i need to get that first if they are going to do it so please help me out and let me know what i will need to make this swap work. i am thinking about swapping out the rear too just to make sure that i wont have any problems. i was told to go to S&P and tell them what i want to do and they will tell me everything that i will need. i know that its not going to be cheap and thats why its going to be a project.

any information will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
brendan
Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

come to thirdgen.org you will find a number of people who have done the swap.. i just sent my wiring harness out to get molded with a 2000 camaro wiring harness that i bought! spohn makes motor mounts to fit third gens and hawks thirdgen makes awesome stainless headers! it is not cheap but in the end you will have a nice result.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

+1^^^^^^^^
Old 01-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Hi,
i would get my suspension in order first f/r.....transmission upgrade to help strengthen the 700-r4 if automatic. Make yourself a priority list and check off as you have the resources and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. This will help you in the long run to avoid costly duplication. The engine swap will go smoothly with time and effort. Pick-up all your computer needs and wiring when you purchase engine..have a good day and god bless.....jim
Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...third-gen.html

Pretty good checklist to go by
Old 01-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Teching In

i have a full 98 that im getting all the parts from i totaled the car a couple months ago and it is not worth fixing. so i have the engine and manual trans, suspension i was going to do when i did the swap, im not sure if i should keep the rear that is on it due to that i dont know the gear ratios. but thanks for all your advice it wil lbe very helpfull. i know its going to be allot of $$$$$$$$$ and i figure it will be totally done hopefully by the summer.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:05 AM
Teching In

i just bought my headers and next im looking at getting a k member but i dont know if i really need it. Should i get it or dont even waste my time???

Last edited by camaro98ss; 01-21-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Did you even read the sticky?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro98ss
i just bought my headers and next im looking at getting a k member but i dont know if i really need it. Should i get it or dont even waste my time???
Main advantages of the k-member in a LS1 3rd gen is getting weight off the nose and keeping AC without some fabwork on the stock k-member. If those are worth the cost of the part I'd say go for it.

If you want to keep AC and the stock k-member, you'll have to cut out a notch for it. Requires some pretty decent cutting and welding skills to get it to come out clean.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

highly recommend thirdgen.org as well; great subforum devoted specifically to the LSx swap; I've found answers to every question I've had for my swap and then some. I'm staying with a modified stock K-member myself, couldn't justify the added cost yet.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Teching In

yes i did go to thirdgen and i read the articles but i didnt find anything about a k member i knew i didnt have to replace it just the motor mounts but i didnt know if it would be a good idea to do while im going the work and spending the money, it was very helpful and answered alot o fquestions i had. but there were still some questions i had after reading and that was the major one. hawks third gen has been very helpful too with some tech questions i had.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly recommend Speartech for your wiring and computer needs. He did the harness for my sons '89 conversion we did. Sent him the existing harness out of the car, he built a new one for the motor, married the 2 together, put it in the car, started with the first turn of the key! That was 5 years ago, hasn't missed a beat since.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Seeing as the LS1 does not simply just bolt right in you need to make some decisions here about what to do. If you are planning on keeping A/C, the stock K member will need modifications such as these (see links below) or you can buy a tubular K member from Hawks or Spohn already made with LS1 mounts. The K member route is certainly a nice upgrade when you consider there is further weight savings and it allows a lot more room to work around the engine over stock but there is a pretty big cost involved. Modifying your stock K member is pretty easy if you have a welder and it’s also very cost effective. The downside to using your stock K member whether or not you run A/C is the oil pan to K member clearance at the back is tight... VERY tight, so it makes dropping the engine in from above very challenging. Many of us have simply removed the K member from the car and bolted the engine onto the K member, and then dropped the car over the entire assembly....
From post #1 of the sticky
Old 01-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks this will be very helpful in doing the install now. i am probable going to order a spohn k member because i want to keep the A/C and dont have the tools to modify the stock k member myself, and if i bring it to a shop there going to be hestant to doing it because the ammount of work that is involved. i found a shop near me that would do the install but i would have to tell them how to do it.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks this will be very helpful in doing the install now. i am probable going to order a spohn k member because i want to keep the A/C and dont have the tools to modify the stock k member myself, and if i bring it to a shop there going to be hestant to doing it because the ammount of work that is involved. i found a shop near me that would do the install but i would have to tell them how to do it.
There really isn't any significant amount of work to speak of if you are referring to the K-member notch. It takes less than an hour to cut, make templates, cut pieces and weld them in. A shop should be able to do this in an hour and it would/should certainly cost less than $500+ that you would pay for a tubular k-member. It cost me $2 for 11 gauge steel and 45 minutes of my time.

If you are looking at a low cost swap you may want to consider things like this. I'm in the middle of my own swap and I too am trying to keep within a reasonable budget. My swap cost tally so far is about $6200. I guess my point is, if you can save yourself a good chunk of money by choosing a less expansive option, why not?

i found a shop near me that would do the install but i would have to tell them how to do it.
I would run from that shop. If you have to handhold them through the process, you will get nothing but headaches. You are not clear on the process yourself and you are supposed to instruct them on the process? Sounds like a disaster to me.

Last edited by mille_3; 01-22-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Teching In

i would do the fab work myself but i dont know how to weld nore the equipment. Im in long island NY so it would prob cost 500. to do the swap the shop would have charged my 1000 to do the swap and i would basically have to tell them how to do the swap and give them step by step instructions which is bull. one of my good friends is a mechanic and has most if not all the tools so im just got to get him to help me with the swap. i want to keep it as low budget as possiable but just dont want to deal with the headaches of possibly doing something wrong. if i found a shop that actually knew what they were doing i would deff bring it there but alot of guys i know who have F bodies just do the work themself and say its not that hard. so im going to give it a shot at doing most if not all the work myself and if i get stuck i will just figure it out then.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Budget and shop dont belong in the same sentence

If you cant DIY, then the next cheapest option is to buy a completed swap that someone wants out of. They pop up occasionally on here
Old 01-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Launching!

I would keep reading that swap has been done plenty of times.. Try to price check parts 2-3 times as for best fit and cost.. I'm gathering parts now for a future swap in a g body and it hard to keep the cost down as the swap grows more popular, But research and patience seems to be helping out alot.. If you have questions ask there are alot of good guys on here willing to help, That is what keeps me excited about doing mine...
Old 01-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Teching In

i normally check out atleast 5 sites before i buy parts nd c how much it is with shipping. and im buying a new part a week, so it will get done with time, i dont plan on starting will it gets a bit warmer out and by then i will have all my parts and find someone that could give me a hand with it. but thanks your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have both the ls1 harness and your 3rd gens engine harness it would be easier to have them mated together, this will save you the headache of cutting and splicing wires.

Quick Reply: swapping LS1 into 88 camaro need help!!