Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Breather Tank/Catch Can/PCV setup for my 415ci build ***teaser motor pics included***

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather Tank/Catch Can/PCV setup for my 415ci build ***teaser motor pics included***

Hey guys, looks like im down to the brass tax on my weekend warrior/drag strip 6.0L 415ci motor build and im just trying to tie up the loose ends. Recently I picked up a Moroso breather tank/catch can with two bungs. Im using an EFI Victor Jr intake and have the LS1 style valley cover which should be helpful info in looking at the picture below. Im wondering if the below catch can/pcv system or lack there of will work efficiently? I really dont want to buy a vacuum pump although it might be advisable with my cam size (high 24x/26x 660+lift) and if I ever do run the moderate size shot im planning on (250-300). Any constructive criticism is appreciated as there are so many confilicting opinions on what the best way is to set these up....thanks

fyi....I'm not sure if ill be cheap and go with zipties, brass barbs and rubber autozone fuel line, or go more aesthetically pleasing and do Russell Twist-Lok line and -an fittings

Motor pics...
mocked up with intake/elbow

How it sits, waiting till I get around to the clutch install

Last edited by awd2rwd; 01-19-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Fixed Pictures
Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

FWIW, I have a -10AN line from each of my valve covers into a Moroso can. I went with the eye-pleasing parts LOL

Here you can see the line from the pass. valve cover going into a "T", then into the can.

I dont have any pics of the drivers side valve cover, but its a 90* out of the factory hole in the valve cover with a -10AN line going behind the motor and into the aforementioned "T", and into the can.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Launching!

LOL i think its funny I labeled the valve covers wrong in the picture....its actually reversed passenger side on the left and drivers on the right....

Is your can a dual bung? I guess I dont understand the "T" portion....if you have the lines from both valve covers "T"ed wouldnt that mean it only goes into one side of the can

Thanks for the reply I think if i can understand what your talking about with the "T" itll def help out with my setup...
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i run two -12 llines plummed into stock valve covers, both are attached to they're own moroso catch can. I highly recommed something similar... i also, use a pcv setup i made. Car starts and runs better with the big breathers.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
i run two -12 llines plummed into stock valve covers, both are attached to they're own moroso catch can. I highly recommed something similar... i also, use a pcv setup i made. Car starts and runs better with the big breathers.
So are you running the single bung breather tanks or is there a reason you opted for twon tanks instead of 1 with 2 bungs?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by awd2rwd
LOL i think its funny I labeled the valve covers wrong in the picture....its actually reversed passenger side on the left and drivers on the right....

Is your can a dual bung? I guess I dont understand the "T" portion....if you have the lines from both valve covers "T"ed wouldnt that mean it only goes into one side of the can

Thanks for the reply I think if i can understand what your talking about with the "T" itll def help out with my setup...
Sorry, here is some clarification.

The can only has one port, therefor, my (2) -10AN lines "T" together into one line into the can.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by awd2rwd
So are you running the single bung breather tanks or is there a reason you opted for twon tanks instead of 1 with 2 bungs?

Thanks

Each valve cover has one bung, and one catch can with one bung and a breather. One big can may be enough but, i opted for two, smaller sized canisters.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my setup. Bungs on both VC's running into the downtube. Line from the valley pan to a catch can and into the manifold. I don't have baffles in the VC's and the intake stays bone dry. My 403 had a lot of blowby and I definitely couldn't have run like this. I ended up tying the VC's together and running a small filter on the oil cap and the valley pan to catch can to the manifold. It's really going to depend on how much blowby you have how you can get away with setting up the PCV.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Wow WKMCD your set-up is very nice.

Quick Reply: Breather Tank/Catch Can/PCV setup for my 415ci build ***teaser motor pics included***