LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Odd 93 PCM issue. Help appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd 93 PCM issue. Help appreciated.

First off a lil bit about the car. 93 camaro 6spd. 383 hci full bolt ons etc.

The car is giving out an intermittent S.E.S. light. The code that its throwing out is error 51 which according to shbox's site is:51 EEPROM programming error PROM error-faultly or incorrect PROM. While driving the car will randomly buck and stutter a lot like the pcm is turning off spark or the injectors. The frustrating thing is it willl randomly happen. I've driven 60 miles without a hiccup and other times it will not make it out of the driveway without stalling.

The car ran fine before it was retuned. The previous tune was odd because the chip was the stock memcal painted gold. The car also ran fine once the it was relaced with a G1 adapter and corresponding prom chip from moates. the problems started midway throught he tuning process. I used a mail order tuner and reflashed the chip myself. It was approximately the 10th retune where it began doing this and has gotten worse to where it is now.

My only thought is to replace the prom, G1 and pcm in that order and see if the issue is resolved. i just figured id throw this up first and see what ideas you guys had.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

keep us posted on progress. I am looking into tuning my 93 the same way and with a chip burner (moates apu1 autoprom) and this is scaring me lol... what did you use to burn the chip? I still a noob as far as tuning goes but am researching everything possible before i jump into it.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

Dont let this scare you this is definitely a unique issue. i used the G1 piggyback adapter a burn2 prom burner and the flash and burn program from moates. there stuff is legit and on countless cars but my junk just wants to be difficult
Old 01-20-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Do you think it could be your actual PCM? I'm just throwing the idea out there. I'm intrigued on your setup though, I was just going through PCMforless with mine, but I'm not too computer tune savvy. I am however, willing to learn.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

My damn car is doing the same thing, mines a 95 though, in my case its the whole pcm, I tied uploading the stock tune without much sucess, it will still spit sputter and die. I thought you couldn't reuse the eprom chips? That's where I would start.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Actually, isn't there a re-flash limit on EPROMs?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Actually, isn't there a re-flash limit on EPROMs?
I had never heard of that but i wouldnt be surprised. I really would hope my tuner would have known that hes one of the bigger ones and did a great job except this problem. which i figured was some sort of mechanical issue.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing happened on my 93.

I have two chips, the factory UV PROM that my tuner used, and my Moats piggy-back setup.

I loaded the professional dyno tune onto my Moats chip and it ran fine for a while but after one of the tweaks I made the car started bucking and backfiring. Reloading the original dyno tune did not fix it, but swapping back to the original PROM did even though they both had the same exact .bin. This relieved me that my computer was still fine, and narrowed it down to the chip.

The EEPROMs are static sensitive and fragile just like any other IC, and I assume it is just a bad chip.

I would first just try to replace the IC from Moates and reburn the same tune to see how it behaves. They are cheap and easy to change, and I think it is more likely that then your computer or adapter.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the insight puck i never thought of just plugging in the PROM but will try that. i assume the chip probably went belly up after the multiple retunes. ill keep ya guys updated.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Just an update. Replaced the PROM chip and now its running perfectly. Thanks for the insight guys glad i got the car up and running again.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fisherz28
Just an update. Replaced the PROM chip and now its running perfectly. Thanks for the insight guys glad i got the car up and running again.
No problem, glad to hear it was the same issue I had and nothing serious.

Quick Reply: Odd 93 PCM issue. Help appreciated.