Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sudden overheating

My commute is 40 miles one way and luckily it started overheating a mile away from my house

The car overheated and was blowing cold air (was working just a few minutes before hand), so I pulled over and shut the car off. Key on...rad fan wasn't running but once again the blower was blowing cold air.

Is this a stuck thermostat?

The car is a 2001 Z28 Camaro with the 5.7L LS1.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Morder
My commute is 40 miles one way and luckily it started overheating a mile away from my house

The car overheated and was blowing cold air (was working just a few minutes before hand), so I pulled over and shut the car off. Key on...rad fan wasn't running but once again the blower was blowing cold air.

Is this a stuck thermostat?

The car is a 2001 Z28 Camaro with the 5.7L LS1.
i dont know what thats about the car shouldnt overheat while your driving check your fluids make sure that it looks good.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

how many miles on the car? when was the last coolant flush done? has the waterpump and thermostat ever been replaced? and did you have coolant?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by King Nothing
how many miles on the car? when was the last coolant flush done? has the waterpump and thermostat ever been replaced? and did you have coolant?
70,000 now. It had no service records when I got it but my guess is that none of those things have been done.

It's still too hot to check the coolant level and its pitch black out now. I heard it boiling when I pulled over but it seems like the upper rad hose has slush in it. Weird since it is above freezing...

But why would it quit blowing hot air and why wouldn't the fan be on?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

I have had a thermostat stick open before in an old eagle talon long ago. In the winter, the car woudln't heat up and would blow cold through the heater core - no overheating though. If your thermostat were stuck open (no hot air through heater), it seems weird that you would overheat. I would make sure your coolant level is full (radiator and reservoir), make sure hoses are in good condition (no splits), and then have the radiator cap tested/replaced, and look to replace the thermostat next.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrEddie
I have had a thermostat stick open before in an old eagle talon long ago. In the winter, the car woudln't heat up and would blow cold through the heater core - no overheating though. If your thermostat were stuck open (no hot air through heater), it seems weird that you would overheat. I would make sure your coolant level is full (radiator and reservoir), make sure hoses are in good condition (no splits), and then have the radiator cap tested/replaced, and look to replace the thermostat next.
Maybe some of that slush got stuck in the thermostat sticking it open and preventing the flow of coolant thus overheating and not blowing hot air.

Well looks like my weekend is planned now!

Quick Reply: Sudden overheating