Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Any good Socal LT1 mechanics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any good Socal LT1 mechanics?

I'm in need of a good LT1 mechanic that is really good with these
motors and preferably around cypress area. My issue has taken it past my home mechanic skills.

The issue:

Right side of motor is running lean according to Datamaster . It shows a 145-150 BLM while the left side shows a 120-128 BLM only in cell 16 at idle, as soon as you give it gas both sides shoot to 128 BLM. I've checked and fixed all vacuum leaks, changed header gaskets, new o2 sensors, and have checked everything that could cause the issue.

The issue has caused my exhaust to smell and burns eyes at idle. I have no idea what to do anymore so if anyone can refer me to a good reputable mechanic it would be great.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman15
I'm in need of a good LT1 mechanic that is really good with these
motors and preferably around cypress area. My issue has taken it past my home mechanic skills.

The issue:

Right side of motor is running lean according to Datamaster . It shows a 145-150 BLM while the left side shows a 120-128 BLM only in cell 16 at idle, as soon as you give it gas both sides shoot to 128 BLM. I've checked and fixed all vacuum leaks, changed header gaskets, new o2 sensors, and have checked everything that could cause the issue.

The issue has caused my exhaust to smell and burns eyes at idle. I have no idea what to do anymore so if anyone can refer me to a good reputable mechanic it would be great.
Usually when the exhaust smells and burns the eyes is because it is running really rich (exhaust leak or ignition problem). But you said you are running lean, so I don't know.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea it's wierd it shows 150 BLM on the LTFT but from what I read the computer wants to compensate for the lean and dump more fuel inthat bank, so I guess it would be making it rich. As far as ignition it's a GM opti, msd 8.5 wires and NGK TR6 plugs. I've check the wires to make sure none are burnt or on the wrong cylinder.

The other part of me makes me think it's a tunning issue, but i think how could the tune be that far off on that bank? It's a cc503 cookie cutter cam, maybe the LT4 heads threw off the tune? But they only flow a little more than the stock heads. I told Ion @ madz28 the specs when i ordered the tune and although i do have tunercat i dont have the knowledge/experience to be tweaking any tunes. Hahaha geez all this is driving me nuts!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm pretty handy with an lt1, i've built this car in my garage. I ain't that close to you I'm in Upland

Quick Reply: Any good Socal LT1 mechanics?