Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

My car is killing me I need someone who REALLY knows thier Firebirds

Old 01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is killing me I need someone who REALLY knows thier Firebirds

I figured this would be the best place to start, I have been chasing a problem for a long time ... I am pulling a lean code "bank 4" when ever I floor the gas in any gear other then 1st gear on take off, the code will not pop up if I fallow through the gears after taking off hard.

First thought was faulty O2 sensor, Didn't work next I tried fuel filter, then I looked for a leak in my mass air flow, I found a few it made the car run better as well as made it a little harder to get the light to come on, However still not fixed and I can't find any more leaks. I have a few friends suggesting it may be either the computer or the EGR but I am not sure where to start or maybe if there is still another leak I am just not looking over it well enough... Sorry for the long story but man I would love it if someone out there might help me with some advise...
Old 01-22-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was doing that for a couple days...then my fuel pump quit. I've never even heard of a fuel pump dieing slowly but mine did. Threw the lean code as well. Even when just cruising on the highway, the car would suddenly lose most power and kinda felt like the trans was slipping. After 2 days and very little driving, it died completely just down the road from my house.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:59 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

What year is this car? Auto or stick car? Mods? Mileage?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
What year is this car? Auto or stick car? Mods? Mileage?
my car is a 98' it is a stick, and has no mods that would effect the engine.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Shot in the dark here:

Check the PCV piping. It often cracks at the rear Y fitting. See it here:
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/New%20LS%20...lace%20LS1.htm
Old 01-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Shot in the dark here:

ok I will give it a shot, when I had it looked at before they did find a few holes in some of the tubes and replaced them it made the car run better as well as helped make it a litte more difficult to pop the light on but didn't fully get it. I did kind of suspect maybe I just didn't get it all, I will check and let you know if I find it. My friend seems to think the EGR valve might be causing the problem as well... been chacing this for so long thanx for the help
Old 01-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Swiat34
Mine was doing that for a couple days...then my fuel pump quit. I've never even heard of a fuel pump dieing slowly but mine did. Threw the lean code as well. Even when just cruising on the highway, the car would suddenly lose most power and kinda felt like the trans was slipping. After 2 days and very little driving, it died completely just down the road from my house.
I acctually have replaced my fuel pump and yah I had kind of the same thing happen with mine, it started making noise then slowly died out over a few days really weird
Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Shot in the dark here:

Well I thought I found the culprit, the tubbing looked as though it was rubbing all the way in the back of the motor compartment, I patched it up and again it seems to run a little better then before, but still not fixed hate to ask but any other ideas?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by My BAD TA
I acctually have replaced my fuel pump and yah I had kind of the same thing happen with mine, it started making noise then slowly died out over a few days really weird
Did you replace the fuel filter as well?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Did you replace the fuel filter as well?
Yah not long ago either, I am about to replace the entire pvc tubing its a little expensive considering I am just throwing the part at it but I don't know where else to go from here
Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Yeah, the PCV piping from the dealer is pricey. I think you should ditch that extra fuel pump befor moving on.

EDIT: HAHAHA BRAIN FART! I mixed this up with another thread. You don't have an extra fuel pump!!!

I do agree that you should make sure the fuel pressure is good as well as everything else in good working order, no vaccum leaks, good electrical connections & grounds etc.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 02-02-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Check your fuel pressure and see how its doing. If its anything below about 50 psi then you may have a weak fuel pump. A weak fuel pump would cause it to spit out a code for being to lean.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My car is killing me I need someone who REALLY knows thier Firebirds