Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what the heck is goin on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the heck is goin on?

I dropped it in 1st to race and then went to put in 2nd...neva shifted...it just revved in the red zone so I had to let go.......now I have no reverse and when I put it in drive...i only have 1st and 2nd gear that I know of and third...but even in noraml driving when I put it in drive....its actin like a stick shift...like when i go from a dead stop...i hit the gas and it begins to rev up a little past 2000rpm's and then let go the car will shift. the rpm will go up if I dont let go of the gas so I can't drive the car too long.I have only hit 45 mph since this happenede at not any faster....its revvin at 2200 grand at 45mph
Old 02-10-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT.....
Old 02-11-2004, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

You need to disconnect your battery cable to reset the PCM. The trans is in limp mode.
Kevin
Old 02-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Why are you manually shifting an electronically controlled automatic?

Noone can "outsmart" the PCM, and trying to do so (unless you have modified the drivetrain substantially) will usually lead to prematuure failure, less performance and embarrassing puddles of ATF....

In all my years of dealing with stock and lightly modified electronically controlled trannies, I have yet to find any evedence that locking in low gears to the redline (or even to max HP point) provides any benefit over letting the "thing do it's thing".

Betcha you are not in limp mode (I don't recall that being part of the F-platform drivetrain), you have prob fried a belt, or messed a pump....
Old 02-11-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the same symptoms, and my torque converter was fried.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4l60-E basics lesson #1...DON'T MANUALLY SHIFT!!! If you want different shift RPMs, program them.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Colonel
4l60-E basics lesson #1...DON'T MANUALLY SHIFT!!! If you want different shift RPMs, program them.
If you wanna shift gears pick up a six-speed car
Old 02-11-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know im dum.... any other possibilities? does this look like it could be costly to fix?
Old 02-11-2004, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

you sure your shifting into second?....if your slipping a lot you may think the car is shifting when its really staying in first...if this is the case and you really have NO reverse then congratulations you just joined the broken sunshell club.

busted sunshell symptoms for me were...lots of slipping, no shift into second, no reverse at all and a whining from the trans as soon as you put it in gear.

an upgraded "beast" sunshell is 35 bucks plus whatever it costs to rebuild the tranny.