General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Altenator Whine

Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Altenator Whine

Ok 2000 z28 has had a pretty loud whine up front from the motor for the past month or so but becuase of family issues I hadnt had a chance to diagnose it. Ok so first thing I thought was the powersteering pump. So I checked the fluid it was full so I decided to flush it out. So I flushed it all out no change in noise at all. So I got the stethiscope out and started listening its defiantly either the alternator or powersteering pump. When I listen to the alternator its defiantly louder but the powersteering is quite loud also so I don't know if the sound is being transfered from one to the other. I also don't have a lot of coinage to replace both! So with all that being said will the alternator sound like a supercharger as its going out. It gets louder as you rev the motor and its quite loud. Ther is no belt slippage. I will probably remove the belt today to see if it has any roughness in rotation any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help Oh and the car only has about 70k miles on it if that makes any difference
Old 01-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I figured it out I didnt realize sound can transfer so to so many accessorys through the belt it turns out to be the idler pully right next to the alternator go figure changed it out all is well now I do miss the supercharger like whine I guess I need to slap a procharger on there

Search this Thread