LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

P0443, P1657, possible bad PCM

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default P0443, P1657, possible bad PCM

Ok, this might be long, but there's lots of details. Last weekend, I swapped out my stock engine for my H/C/I LT1. I swapped my stock harness over to the new engine, and had a PCM flashed by PCMforless. It is not my PCM, it is a core charge that they sent to me.

Now, I have two codes: P0443 (EVAP Purge Solenoid Control Circuit) and P1657 (Skip Shift Solenoid Control). The tune was supposed to delete CAGS, and retain all emissions equipment (not pointing fingers, just giving background). Just a side note, I do not have a CAGS solenoid at all. But I do have the resistor in the harness to simulate that it is there.

I used this site as reference (http://www.obd-codes.com/p0443) and went down the list of solutions. Swapped out the solenoid for a known good, verified 12v switched at the connector, checked continuity from the solenoid harness to the PCM harness, even pulled the PCM pin and grounded it to verify that the solenoid clicks. All passed, so it points to the PCM as being bad.

I did not have any issues with EVAP or CAGS before this swap, and it's the same harness that was on the old engine. Nothing was changed as far as wiring.

So, since I was sent a core PCM, I figured it is quite possible that I was sent a bad one. Does anyone have any input on this? I'm not pointing fingers at this point, just trying to get rid of these codes. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best thing to do at this point is give Bryan a call. He'll get it squared away for you.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bringing this back up. I did talk to Bryan, and he recommended I check all my grounds. I've checked and checked again, and they're all fine. I've tried resetting the PCM numerous times. All fuses are good. And now I'm getting a P0118 code. Ugh.

So, I have a question. I have an extra PCM laying around. Unfortunately, it has a stock tune on it. Would I be all right to run the engine for like a minute on this tune (mods in sig, 222/230 cam, 37# injectors) just to see if these codes pop up still? I wouldn't be driving it around or revving it, only idling. I just thought I'd ask, because I don't want to do any damage to my engine.

Quick Reply: P0443, P1657, possible bad PCM