Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

I think my car is not running correctly.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my car is not running correctly.

I have a 1997 TA with boltons and a lt4 hot cam. I think something is wrong with it; it just doesn't feel like it is running correctly to me. I have changed the plugs,wires,opti,fuel pump fuel filter, ICM, Coil and even tried readjusting the rockers. Some of my family members think it is just running like it is because of the cam; but I say BS. If anyone near 91740 would like to take a look at my car and tell me if something is wrong that would be great. I would be willing to drive the car a few mi if your willing to take a look at it.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:42 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What driveability symptoms/problems are you having that make you think the car isn't running properly? Stumbling from take-off, hesitation, pinging, lack of mid or top end power, etc? Do you have any SES codes? Has the car been tuned? When did the car start to not feel right to you?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you install a new GM opti?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The car has a rough idle and hesitates for a split second when I hit the throttle all at once. I have had a gm opti, autozone opti and now I have a msd opti; they all ran the same. It is fine in the higher rpm ranges, the low end just feels like crap; at least to me.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also it seems to be eating oil; it is not leaking oil either. I checked the oil and found that it was down to the last dot on the dip stick. I am also noticing a lot of crap building up on the bumper and tail lights; it looks like oil to me. It is not smoking but it is going through oil some how.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by henry172
Also it seems to be eating oil; it is not leaking oil either. I checked the oil and found that it was down to the last dot on the dip stick. I am also noticing a lot of crap building up on the bumper and tail lights; it looks like oil to me. It is not smoking but it is going through oil some how.
Wouldn't hurt to replace your pcv valve. It also wouldn't hurt to add a catch can set up to your PCV system to further reduce oil consumption.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Wouldn't hurt to replace your pcv valve. It also wouldn't hurt to add a catch can set up to your PCV system to further reduce oil consumption.
That is what I plan on doing; but it went through nearly 2qts of oil in less than 3,000mi. It looks like unburnt oil is exiting the exhaust; I am starting to think a couple exhaust valve seals or seats are bad. I think I may have hurt the heads when I first installed the cam and really did not know how to set up the timing chain; I installed a adjustable double chain. I put the chain on way off of where it should have been; it was so bad that the headers were glowing red/orange and melted in a few spots. So if it melted the headers what is the chance I damaged some exhaust seals.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by henry172
That is what I plan on doing; but it went through nearly 2qts of oil in less than 3,000mi. It looks like unburnt oil is exiting the exhaust; I am starting to think a couple exhaust valve seals or seats are bad. I think I may have hurt the heads when I first installed the cam and really did not know how to set up the timing chain; I installed a adjustable double chain. I put the chain on way off of where it should have been; it was so bad that the headers were glowing red/orange and melted in a few spots. So if it melted the headers what is the chance I damaged some exhaust seals.
Wow, are you sure you didn't bend any valves?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No thankfully I don't think I bent any valves; I recently checked the push rods and they are O.K. I have done a compression and leak down test; all cylinders have around 160psi and less passed the leak down test. So I figure if it is burning oil it has to be the valve seals. I did see the exhaust ports on the heads and they are really black.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Try and post this in the LT1 section-you'll get more views that way...
Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the plugs maybe? Who tuned your car? Your oil consumption could be as simple as a PCV valve, start simple and work your way up. To me it sounds like valve seals. What kind of oil are you using?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am using castrol edge 10-30, the rear 2 plugs 7 and 8 are starting to turn black and have a little bit of oil on the threads not much. It runs well for a couple min if I don't run it for a few days, but then it starts the same crap over again. If it only sits for say 1/2 of a day it will start up and run like crap right away. I think I am going to upgrade the heads to LE1 heads or something similar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think my car is not running correctly.