Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! F body and X body frame stands and mounts and adapter plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! F body and X body frame stands and mounts and adapter plates

The first attempt on mounting my ls into a 69 camaro was a bust. With car shop 1 inch set back plates, my motor hit the firewall. This is not the case on all cars since others have had good success with this set up. I want to get the second attempt right.

Here is the mystery:
The tall and narrow mounts match what I unbolted from my 350 and they fit my stands which are factory 350. So I assume that since my stands are 2 3/8wide, I have the tall and narrow stands.

I plan to use a standard plate. The car shop standard adapter plates are the same design as Detroit speed and engineering, autokraft and energy suspension adapter plates. The car shop standard plate do not have the cut out for the mount dimple, but their 1 inch set back plate do. Dynatech recommends the Detroit speed kit which includes the short and narrow style mount and frame stand. Detroit speed says that their stands are to be mounted in the stock location. (For their aftermarket sub frame) Autokraft also sells the short and wide style with their plates.

I called autokraft as well, and they said that they never use the tall and narrow mounts in their conversion.

Are people just bolting the short and wide mounts onto the tall and narrow stands?? The gap could be filled with a washer or two.

Am I heading for failure again trying to use the tall and narrow mounts?

Energy suspension mount info:
short & Wide: Part Number- 3.1114 3.1115(chrome)
Inside width- 2 5/8"
Height Base to Bolt Center- 1 3/4"

Tall & Narrow: 3.1117 3.1118(chrome
Inside width 2 3/8"
Height base to bolt center- 2 3/16"

Last edited by futureuser; 01-24-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: extra info
Old 01-24-2011, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Here is some great info but I think it's for a different car:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ogress-14.html
Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by futureuser
Here is the mystery:
The tall and narrow mounts match what I unbolted from my 350 and they fit my stands which are factory 350. So I assume that since my stands are 2 3/8wide, I have the tall and narrow stands.
Judging by this picture of your frame, your frame stands are short & narrow for use with tall & narrow mounts. This picture shows my frame stands, which are tall and wide for use with short & wide mounts. I have not seen a successful LSx swap using the tall & norrow mounts + short & narrow frame stands (not to say one doesn't exist). You can get more info on various mounts & frame stands here: http://pozziracing.com/camaro_engine.htm There are actually more than a few combinations that could have been used from the factory.

If I were you, I would pick up a set of the tall & wide frame stands and short & wide mounts, then give this another shot. You should be able to get the frame stands reproduction.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

fyi, you don't have to run the plates that come with the energy suspension mounts. in this case, the carshopinc mount plates themselves act as the load plates.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats my friend Mikes' Chevelle, I can call him and get him to chime in, he actually lived a 1/2 mile from me but has moved,
Old 01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Judging by this picture of your frame, your frame stands are short & narrow for use with tall & narrow mounts. This picture shows my frame stands, which are tall and wide for use with short & wide mounts. I have not seen a successful LSx swap using the tall & norrow mounts + short & narrow frame stands (not to say one doesn't exist). You can get more info on various mounts & frame stands here: http://pozziracing.com/camaro_engine.htm There are actually more than a few combinations that could have been used from the factory.

If I were you, I would pick up a set of the tall & wide frame stands and short & wide mounts, then give this another shot. You should be able to get the frame stands reproduction.
Figures. My car's Quebecois. I had no idea there were so many kinds of stands. Do you think the over all height of these stand mount combos are the same like they were in the Chevelle thread?

I think I'll order the stands and the mounts and maybe two more sets of plates for next install day and just return what I don't use.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
fyi, you don't have to run the plates that come with the energy suspension mounts. in this case, the carshopinc mount plates themselves act as the load plates.
Yeah, The car shop guys told me the same thing. The thing I don't like about the car shop plates is that they don't have the cut out for the protrusion in the mount. So that would be compressed and there might be a gap between the mount and the plate. I could always have someone cut it out for me.

Last edited by futureuser; 01-24-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

I think you should coin up for these. They are cool:
http://www.cachassisworks.com/Attach...51-5914F10.pdf
Old 01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I think you should coin up for these. They are cool:
http://www.cachassisworks.com/Attach...51-5914F10.pdf
Those are nice. Unlike brp, they put the engine in the stock location, according to them, so they should be compatible with the dynatechs and the autokraft pan.

Any idea on where I could pick up some stands? A brief search revealed nothing.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Anyone know who sells the tall and wide stands?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/mo...DESC_KEY_WORD=

found 'em

They're called bracket: engine mount in the catalogue.

I'm going to order the v8 non 302-350
Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

goodmark was backordered but ricks had them in stock:

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-e...1967-1969.html

Bandit, do they look like the right ones to you?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry, I don't know if those are the right ones. You could have them meausre the frame stand hole-to-frame dimension and make sure the outside width is 2-5/8.

Quick Reply: Help! F body and X body frame stands and mounts and adapter plates