Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some advice needed before engine build is underway

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default some advice needed before engine build is underway

I need some advice from the many people on here who have far more knowledge then I in building ls motors. my application is my street/strip daily driver. the car will be seeing nitrous. now for the background and questions:

i found a local deal where a guy was getting ready to do a 383 build and is now backing out. basically he is going to sell me an ls1 block which has had the cylinders honed, line honed, and been deburred. it will also come with arp main and head studs, front and rear covers, new cam bearings already installed, and a set of thoroughly p&p 241 heads that are complete with proper valvetrain. he is also going to throw in a factory rotating assembly that i would swap use (swapping the pistons for a set of mahle's) and then have balanced.

My concern is that i will have to have each cylinder honed individually for each piston..but he claims if you have file fit rings you do not have to do this. he says i wont have to do anything else at all to the block.

my other concern is that the rotating assembly has 120k miles on it...would this be safe to use for what i want to do? i know the guy who origionally owned the motor and he said it ran great and was extremely clean when they took it apart.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:06 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

File fitting the rings won't really dictate on whether or not to hone the block. It just depends on how big the cylinders are now, and how big they need to be for whichever piston you decide to use. Most machine shops will provide a build sheet which lists the bore sizes.

120K miles will be ok, as long as nothing bad happened, like oil starvation or severe detonation.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup pistons are manufactured with a recommended clearance between them and the cylinder, the rings have nothing to do with that clearance. you can have the bores measured and contact some piston companies and see if you can make it work that way. Have the stock stoff checked and measured, itll prolly be fine.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so more then likely i would probably have to take this back to the machine shop to do it right and have the pistons fit to the cylinder is what it sounds like to me which is how i thought it went. I mean from what the guy said, it was basically just honed to clean the cylinder up. didn't sound like it was honed to any specific measurement. thanks for your help so far guys