Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 TA How to Adjust Timing Table with HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 02 TA How to Adjust Timing Table with HP Tuners

Guys I need to adjust my timing table because I seem to be getting a misfire code after the installation of my new cam. Below are my cam specs, what would you adjust the table to? Sorry new to this, and your help is always greatly appreciated!

234/238 XE-R Lobed cam

113 LSA +2

.595/.603 GVL

Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't get a misfire from timing. Check all you plug wires.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your air/fuel ratio? If you are lean that will give u misfire.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I honestly could not tell you, I just purchased HP tuners I should be able to pull that info with that correct?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Download the HP tuners guide off HP webs site and start there. You need to understand the basics with the software before you start changing random tables.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the response Bigboykilroy, but I understand I need to read the manual as that is usually the first step. I just posted this to get input and direction from other members who have seen this before not to receive a snappy response telling me to go read the manual.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you got a wideband? That would be the next purchase if you want to do some tuning. You'll need it to tell you your A/F ratio, and once you learn how to import and look at all that data then HP Tuners becomes pretty user friendly. To tell you the truth I wouldn't even try to use the narrow band sensors to tell you if you're lean or rich. Get a wideband and we can help you from there
Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Already working on that, which do you sugest? There are so many choices, I`m at a tossuip between LC-1, NGK, and PLX
Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

How can you honestly take offence to that? Really?
I understand you are new to this and just got your software and are excited to use it.
But its very important for your own sake to read the beginners guides (they even have videos.)
This is to help YOU better understand what is all in the software and what it can all do.
Without understanding you can really damage your stuff.
That way when you get to the point of asking for help (and we all neeed it from time to time) you know and are fimiliar with the tables that people may suggest that you go look at.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't run if you don't know how to walk

I studied manuals and forums for months before I even had my HPTuners.

When I had a firm grasp on the basics then I bought HPTuners and started tuning, going small steps and researching every thing I wanted to change to the car.

Most of the info you'll ever need is already posted somewhere on this forum or another. There is really no need to ask. Search is your friend
The cool thing about searching is you learn several things you didn't know while you find your answer.

I'm 110% sure the answer to your question is posted at least a dozen times in this forum
Old 01-27-2011, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the advice!

Bigboykilroy, I am not taking offense to it just thought it was a snappy comment thats all, I understand completely about what you are saying and before I even posted I was planning on reading the manuals (Since thats the only real way to understand the software) however I greatly appreciate everyone`s opinion and knowledge on here so I figured I would ask first.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as widebands go I'm pretty sure they all use the same sensor. I've got the NGK and it's great for HP Tuners. The display screen on the controller might as well be faux though as it's calibrated to some number that only made sense to the NGK engineers. The number you see on there isn't the real A/F Ratio, it's several points off. Most of us just mount it so that we can't see it. I mounted my NGK and my HP Tuners box under my radio/climate control area. On the drivers side I've got the OBDII cable coming out and on the passenger side I've got the USB cable coming out.

Most of us are willing to overlook the fact that the NGK display is garbage because the rest of its operations are really good. It interfaces with HPTuners very well and seems to be a quality controler. You don't really need a gauge anyway If you get one I'll show you exactly what to fill into HPTuners and how to set it up.

Also, do yourself a favor and forget all about using A/F ratios to tune. You can define what your target A/F ratio should be and then tell it to report back to you in Lambda. Lambda is freakin awesome. If you tell hptuners you want your af to be at 14.7:1 (or what ever) then you look for a "1.00" in the histograms. If it says anything different then that's an indication that you're rich or lean in that cell, like "0.88" would mean that you're 12% (100-12=88) too rich from your target A/F. Much easier to process than a confusing ratio.

You can use a wideband to do so many things! You can even dial in your MAF with it. The video from Calibrated Success (Greg Banish) was a great investment as it shows you step-by-step how to do this stuff with HP Tuners.

Good luck
Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
As far as widebands go I'm pretty sure they all use the same sensor. I've got the NGK and it's great for HP Tuners. The display screen on the controller might as well be faux though as it's calibrated to some number that only made sense to the NGK engineers. The number you see on there isn't the real A/F Ratio, it's several points off. Most of us just mount it so that we can't see it. I mounted my NGK and my HP Tuners box under my radio/climate control area. On the drivers side I've got the OBDII cable coming out and on the passenger side I've got the USB cable coming out.

Most of us are willing to overlook the fact that the NGK display is garbage because the rest of its operations are really good. It interfaces with HPTuners very well and seems to be a quality controler. You don't really need a gauge anyway If you get one I'll show you exactly what to fill into HPTuners and how to set it up.

Also, do yourself a favor and forget all about using A/F ratios to tune. You can define what your target A/F ratio should be and then tell it to report back to you in Lambda. Lambda is freakin awesome. If you tell hptuners you want your af to be at 14.7:1 (or what ever) then you look for a "1.00" in the histograms. If it says anything different then that's an indication that you're rich or lean in that cell, like "0.88" would mean that you're 12% (100-12=88) too rich from your target A/F. Much easier to process than a confusing ratio.

You can use a wideband to do so many things! You can even dial in your MAF with it. The video from Calibrated Success (Greg Banish) was a great investment as it shows you step-by-step how to do this stuff with HP Tuners.

Good luck
This is a good read.

Quick Reply: 02 TA How to Adjust Timing Table with HP Tuners