Sponsored by:

ls6 intake swap

Old 01-25-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls6 intake swap

I am swapping an ls6 inake onto my LQ9. I have been following:
http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/front...take-swap.html
The intake I have was used with a cable TB.
Does any have pics of fitting on the pass. side valve cover vaccum line and the plug on the intake? This is the part of the write up I am talking about:
"since this intake was originally equipped with a cable style tb, i had to drill and tap for 1/8"npt / barbed fitting to hook up the passenger side valve cover vacuum line. also notice the black vacuum cap i plugged onto the intake."
Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The line in question is part of the PCV system and he could have hooked it up in the existing port where he placed the rubber cap saving you the drilling / taping... however it would still be incorrect. You could also leave it unplugged or do the catch can thing, etc.

It's not a true full-time vacuum line per se like your brake booster and in factory form it uses ported, not manifold vacuum. I'm not sure how you would get a ported vacuum source on a DBW throttle body.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:19 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
The line in question is part of the PCV system and he could have hooked it up in the existing port where he placed the rubber cap saving you the drilling / taping... however it would still be incorrect. You could also leave it unplugged or do the catch can thing, etc.

It's not a true full-time vacuum line per se like your brake booster and in factory form it uses ported, not manifold vacuum. I'm not sure how you would get a ported vacuum source on a DBW throttle body.

no i could not use it from the existing port. that is located right behind the throttle body blade. on a dbw tb there is no nipple on it like a cable style one. so what i had to do was place that fitting on the intake to where i could meet up to the IAC passage
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
no i could not use it from the existing port. that is located right behind the throttle body blade. on a dbw tb there is no nipple on it like a cable style one. so what i had to do was place that fitting on the intake to where i could meet up to the IAC passage
I am a little slow....
So, do i have to do this or not??
Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by crosstraining
I am a little slow....
So, do i have to do this or not??
I'm with you, the port I'm talking about is on the intake itself from the factory and clearly visible in the photo he took on the link you provided with the rubber plug on it. His setup seems like an extra step to me.

Now I KNOW the port I'm talking about is a larger connection than the hose being referenced... that is because it is not the correct place for that vacuum line. Will it work? Yes. Is it factory correct? No. Does it serve the same purpose as the authors setup - yes. The only problem I see is if you have a high idle and can't figure out why, that could be the source of your vacuum leak. Dig it?

Honestly you could do what the 60's cars did and put a breather on it without the vacuum line because it is only a crank case vent.

Good luck whatever you choose.

HTH
Old 01-28-2011, 01:09 AM
11 Second Truck Club

i had to do it that way because it wouldn't idle right.
so you might be better off with the breather.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

What about using it with the L92 heads

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls6 intake swap