Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Tech VS Hooker VS Loudmouth

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 10:35 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Tech VS Hooker VS Loudmouth

What would you guys recommend? This will be on a 2001 z28 with flowtech headers and y-pipe. No cats. The Random Tech would be aluminized not the stainless.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

I have the Random Tech catback with Macs and an ORP. It's as loud as my stock manifold/gutted cats/Loudmouth system was but not as raw or nasty sounding. There's a lot of resonance in the 2000-2300 range but I'm going to put in an 18" bullet muffler to fix that. WOT sounds great and so does the idle with the cam.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

loudmouth+no cats = ridiculously loud, even without headers. I'd get a user hooker system they are cheap and sound great!

oh while your there weld in some dumps so you don't have to worry about lost WHP when your at the strip, just open them up.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, if you're not going to run cats, you'll probably want to stay away from the Loudmouth.

Josh
Old 02-11-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I vote for the new Rumbler Exhaust from TSP. I havent heard it but it sure does look good and seems like it flows awesome.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have an ATR SS Cat Back. ATR maked the mufflers for Random Tech and it is loud with Hookers no cats and H/C. It does sound good though.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I vote for the Hooker cat-back
Old 02-11-2004, 05:21 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had all 3 of the above mentioned catbacks. Here's my take...

Loudmouth- Sounded GREAT when the car was stock w/ cats in place, much like a cutout but more refined. After I put headers/ORP on the car, it went to ****. Sounded horrible, and the 2300 atomic fart was down right embarassing....So, with cats in place this exhaust is a winner, without them i'd look elsewhere unless you enjoy sounding like a 84 pickup w/ glasspacks....

Random Tech- This exhaust kicks ***. Very deep, but loud all the time. Even cruising around town it's LOUD. Sounds light years better than the Loudmouth, but was a little to loud for my tastes driving the car everyday without cats.

Hooker- Probably mod for mod the best thing I ever did to my car. I really have nothing negative to say about it. It's perfect IMO. Very docile driving around town, while retaining a very DEEP throating growl, just enough to let somebody know you got somethin. But when it's time to go WOT, it's almost as though the exhaust transforms into something else and SCREAMS. Definately by far the best sounding of the three, and there is zero drone @ highway speeds. Also, FWIW I ONLY lost 4 rwhp through muffler on my heads/cam setup....

There ya have it

josh
Old 02-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Restricted User

Thank you, exactly the kind of post i wanted to hear

Originally Posted by Damian
I've had all 3 of the above mentioned catbacks. Here's my take...

Loudmouth- Sounded GREAT when the car was stock w/ cats in place, much like a cutout but more refined. After I put headers/ORP on the car, it went to ****. Sounded horrible, and the 2300 atomic fart was down right embarassing....So, with cats in place this exhaust is a winner, without them i'd look elsewhere unless you enjoy sounding like a 84 pickup w/ glasspacks....

Random Tech- This exhaust kicks ***. Very deep, but loud all the time. Even cruising around town it's LOUD. Sounds light years better than the Loudmouth, but was a little to loud for my tastes driving the car everyday without cats.

Hooker- Probably mod for mod the best thing I ever did to my car. I really have nothing negative to say about it. It's perfect IMO. Very docile driving around town, while retaining a very DEEP throating growl, just enough to let somebody know you got somethin. But when it's time to go WOT, it's almost as though the exhaust transforms into something else and SCREAMS. Definately by far the best sounding of the three, and there is zero drone @ highway speeds. Also, FWIW I ONLY lost 4 rwhp through muffler on my heads/cam setup....

There ya have it

josh
Old 02-11-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by redls1z28
I vote for the new Rumbler Exhaust from TSP. I havent heard it but it sure does look good and seems like it flows awesome.
Might want think about this one too TSP has made a post in this forum and in the Sponsor forum about it.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You could go the loudmouth route and then add a better resonator in the I pipe....This would be a little more expensive but is the best sounding, I think....

John
Old 02-12-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damian
The best description I have ever heard for it. I had Longtubes/ORY/LM, and was embarassed from 2300-2600. I loved it from 3000 rpms on, but a dual system became available......luckily.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Launching!

I have the Hooker and am pretty happy with it.
I would love it if it was Stainless, but I can't complain cause it was cheap.
Full bolt ons and a tune and compared to a cutout, I lost 2 rwhp and 2 rwtq in back to back runs (which might just have been even that the car had heated up).
Love the sound, quieter (but still a rumble) at idle and it gets louder at WOT.
Just change the tips though, the Hooker ones blow. I got a set from Fast Toys.

Chris
Old 02-12-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm glad you posted this. I currently am running the LM with stock cats/manifolds. I've heard a couple of cars with LT's and ORY's with the loudmouth, and it's loud. Not good loud, kinda gross loud. I guess you could insert a Borla, but when I get my Lt's etc. I'm going Corsa or Borla. Heard both. Pricey, but sound good. IMHO.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:55 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going Corsa or Borla. Heard both. Pricey, but sound good. IMHO.
Just a FYI for you, Corsa is JUNK and way overpriced. They've had a boat load of mufflers falling apart for the past 2 yrs. I wouldn't pay 700 bucks for that exhaust if my life depended on it...

Borla is ok, but real raspy sounded. IMO, if you're planning on paying that much for an exhaust system, look into the GMMG catback. Sounds better than both the above mentioned, and a much cleaner tone...
Old 02-12-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would just keep the loudmouth and put in a borla muffler.....

John