PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What extent of tuning do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What extent of tuning do I need?

So my 98 TA has slp headers and a pacesetter y. As you would expect there is no more smog crap and now the ses light is on. I have plans for a new cam and heads but thats going to be much later down the road. Would a simple code delete do the job or does the tune need to be a little more detailed?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really up to you, if those are your only mods and you plan on doing heads/cam a year or so from now I would personally just hold off. Although another option would be to purchase a tuning package of your own, it'll cost you about the same as a full dyno tune would cost and you could do what you want now and give you time to learn the more complex stuff such as fuel & spark tuning in the meantime...just a thought

-Bill
Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most likely it's an SES light for your O2 sensors. Sometimes when you put your O2 sensors in long tubes they don't get hot enough to work properly. I had pacesetters in my LT when I had a T/A but I was running OLSD all the time. See what the ses light is and we can go from there. And headers make for of a difference than people think. If you do a tune you won't gain that much HP but just the timing, and air/fuel changes make it feel more powerful and smoother. I put LT's on mine, slp dual/dual and had hptuenrs and it seemed like it made a world of difference when I tuned it. I recommend getting a tuner and learning.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pavetim
Most likely it's an SES light for your O2 sensors. Sometimes when you put your O2 sensors in long tubes they don't get hot enough to work properly. I had pacesetters in my LT when I had a T/A but I was running OLSD all the time. See what the ses light is and we can go from there. And headers make for of a difference than people think. If you do a tune you won't gain that much HP but just the timing, and air/fuel changes make it feel more powerful and smoother. I put LT's on mine, slp dual/dual and had hptuenrs and it seemed like it made a world of difference when I tuned it. I recommend getting a tuner and learning.
Thanks for the advice guys. SES is defiantly form the O2s and removed egr. The car runs fine I just want to make sure I get all the bang for my bucks.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you were close to me i'd tune it for you, it would make a pretty good difference with a tune.