What city to move to in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What city to move to in Texas?

Thinking of moving to Texas in about a year. What city should I move to and why? I like low cost of living, lowish crime, lots of stuff to do that doesnt involve getting drunk, strong car culture, lots of jobs. I have a few places in mind but would like to hear from actual people that live there.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLK85
Thinking of moving to Texas in about a year. What city should I move to and why? I like low cost of living, lowish crime, lots of stuff to do that doesnt involve getting drunk, strong car culture, lots of jobs. I have a few places in mind but would like to hear from actual people that live there.
Houston. Crime is everywhere, it's a big city and we have nice parts. Parts of Austin are nice, but I hate San Antonio. My family has a river house about 40 miles north of there, but I can't stand the city. I'd take FW or the big D, but that's just me.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Teching In

I live in Houston, but Austin is my favorite city in Texas....but the job market is stronger in Houston for Engineering, Medical, Oil & Gas, etc...
Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

North Dallas is the best IMO, six flags, texas motor speedway, water park, speed zone, Dave and busters, bowling alleys, main events, etc crime rate is low depending on what area your in, there is atleast 4 drag strips within an hour and a half drive from where i live
Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

I say Dallas
Old 01-26-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

I hear there a lot of nice guys in dallas.....
Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DFW area FTW, My family moved there about two years ago and its going real good for them, its a lot better there than in Cali (LA area) LOTS OF JOBS and REALLY LOW PRICED HOUSES. Ill be moving by June/July with my wife and daughter.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:53 AM
TECH Resident

I grew up in Houston and lived in ATX for 9 years, moved back to Houston in the summer of 2009. I like Austin better as a city, less crime, nicer folks, and it's beautiful town. However Houston has way more in terms of employment opportunities, that's what brought me back. We now live just outside of Houston city limits in cypress (NW part of town), it's pretty nice in that area, low crime, great schools, but the commute in to Houston kinda sucks ***. You are going to find a strong car culture in Texas wherever you move.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say Ft. Worth/Tarrant County over Dallas for less traffic and crime. Although it depends on where you work.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David21
North Dallas is the best IMO, six flags, texas motor speedway, water park, speed zone, Dave and busters, bowling alleys, main events, etc crime rate is low depending on what area your in, there is atleast 4 drag strips within an hour and a half drive from where i live
The first 3 of which aren't in Dallas.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Low cost of living and low crime rate dont mix lol. I say austin. Im not a fan of the Dallas area simply because Im a casual person. Everytime I go to visit family/friends in Dallas we have to dress up to go anywhere and a lot of people seem to think their **** dont stink. But then again my family lives in an upper class area so that may be why?

Austin doesnt have a huge job market but theres lots to do here besides drink. Its a very outdoors type city. Also its the central of Texas so visiting any city is about the same distance (more or less). You could always start in austin and move around until you find the atmosphere that fits you.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dallas Dallas Dallas Dallas... and Dallas
Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

North Dallas, hott women!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ebk06
Low cost of living and low crime rate dont mix lol. I say austin. Im not a fan of the Dallas area simply because Im a casual person. Everytime I go to visit family/friends in Dallas we have to dress up to go anywhere and a lot of people seem to think their **** dont stink. But then again my family lives in an upper class area so that may be why?
low cost of living and low crime rate does apply if you compare the cost of homes and such in Texas vs other states.

Your conception of Dallas is way off. Idk where your family lives or where they go to but there is no place that I feel I have to dress up for.

Oh and I meant north dfw not just north Dallas
Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i like the houston metropolita area... plenty of car scenes, all diff types of cultures, plenty of things to do. prob the biggest car scene of the tri cities, couple of drag strips within a hour drive. and we have a beach 30-45 min away, may not be pretty watter or anything but is still fun to go down there a couple of times a year.

EDIT: dont actually move inside the houston city limits, i mean there are nice spots but your better off moving in a suburb somewhere around houston, they are everywhere and are in all sorts of diff price ranges.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm also looking into making the move to TX in Aug. Houston area, to be more exact. From my reading it seems that the NW side is the place to live?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio are the places to be if you're in the job hunt. I moved to Austin because I had family here, and found a job really quickly. It's nice and I really like it, car scene is badass (if you know who to hang out with) only drawback is the hippies/tree huggers kinda get annoying.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

To be honest Im leaning towards Austin. But I created this post to hear about other cities in Texas. I need to take a trip to Texas, but really dont want to go alone. But I would plan on moving with no one so maybe I should just fly down there sometime.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I moved from CA to Haltom City (RIGHT outside Ft. Worth) in June last year, was here for about two and a half weeks and got the hell out. Came back almost a month ago and so far I hate it. The city is nice and all, everything is cheap, people are friendly, and there's a MUCH better Fbody scene, but the fact that I don't really know the area, have no friends and have to restart sucks ***. Which is why I'm putting all of my energy into getting back to California hopefully next year. In the meantime I'm focused on getting things straightened out and purchasing a certain, specific Trans Am this summer that quite a few of us know about Will be the best car I can think of to have in college

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I'd say Ft. Worth/Tarrant County over Dallas for less traffic and crime. Although it depends on where you work.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Teching In

dallas would be the best place to live but not cost of living wise. i live in CORPUS CHRISTI and this place is blowing up with jobs. we have the port (one of the biggest in the nation), we have the naval base (one of the biggest and only that works on apaches), and we have huge refineries, and one of the fastest growing schools (TAMUCC) with a 5:1 girl:guy ratio . in all seriousness too you can be considered damn near rich off of a 60k a year job here. the above average nice house costs only 120-150k in a crimeless neighborhood. can get anywhere in the city in 20 minutes. basically this place has the best of a big city and the best of a small town. not to mention the beach of course. you can get a bad *** house on the beach here for under 200k.

biggest flaws here, all the flaws that get bigger the closer you get to mexico

just don't go to houston or san antonio. terrible places to live. austin is great to visit but also a terrible place to live. only go to any of those 3 if a great job opportunity is there.