Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint panels or wrap them

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint panels or wrap them

I have pretty much given up on buying a used interior. I am trying to change my tan interior to an Ebony or Grey set. Every time a seller and I come up with a deal someone local buys them or something.

So my question is if you had the plastics wrapped you think that would look good? Or should I paint them? Im just worried the paint will not hold up, and not sure how a wrapped panel would looks. Especially on something like the floor kick panels.

What do you guys think

Chris
Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrap them, I initially went the SEM paint route on my interior panels. They looked alright for about a week, now I'm sick of lookin at the cheapo worn paint. I have already started wrapping some panels for mine but its a slow process, especially since its cold outside.

I found it easiest to wrap panels outside when its warm so you can let the leather get soft in the sun & more pliable. A heat gun would work also.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it hard to do? Never done anything like this. Got any pictures?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Comming from a painter, Dont paint them it simply wont last, to bad your not closer im selling a full leather int out of my camaro
Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you sir have a pm
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

I have seen a post from a member that wrapped the panels and the pillars.. they looked freaking great..
Old 01-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Launching!

whats the best glue for wrapping, need it to stand up to the summer temps and humidity
Old 01-26-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah I live in South FL need it to stay together
Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Here is the adhesive I used, havent got to test it in summer heat yet. And here is a crappy phone pics of my door panel. I used the Specialized Stainless Ebony leather to wrap it. I'm gonna have to order some more though to get all my trunk panels & hatch wrapped.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Gonna try to get glocks interior if not Im gonna do this
Old 01-26-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

wow i cant believe your doing this. i wish i had tan interior. from your sig it shows that u have green camaro and it looks best with the tan, anyway i wouldnt paint them unless your 100% sure you wont screw them. i once painted an interior part but i made a mess but i fixed it later. go with wrapping and post an after pics. gd luck
Old 01-26-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude tan is a PITA to keep clean. Plus Im not sure how black racing seats would look with a tan interior.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

I painted mine because I had too much of a problem getting my wrap to actually stick.

Id love to try again, but I don't wanna **** up my panels a whole bunch. Big mike, what did you do to wrap that? Did you piece it together or did you just lay that piece on a large piece and just cut the middle out? Seems like that would waste a lot of material really fast!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, I took the panel & hung it on my fence, sprayed the adhesive on it & then laid it on a flat surface. I already had the leather layin out in the sun to soften it up. I laid the whole piece over the panel lightly, took a razor & started cutting in the center out toward the edges. I slowly worked the leather with bare hands around the door panel. Took me about a hour & half to get what you see above done.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not the cheapest option but you can get the interior hydrodipped from emblem pros.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hydrodipped just plain black?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Not an option I would spring for considering the price.. Plus the entire thing would be like a gloss black and driving in the sun would be a total nightmare.

As far as wrapping goes, If you can wrap and are comfy doing so then I would wrap the panels. The only thing Id be worried about is the dash and the center console you physically can't wrap them unless you put in seams and that would look like crap.

I have a thread on here where I dyed my panels using duplicolor spray in flat/matte black from autozone on the soft leather like surfaces and I used Krylon fusion on the plastics. I thought it turned out well. However high traffic areas tend to look rough after a while. Kick panels are easily chipped and scuffed and just overall don't look right. However its cheap and it lasts decent enough if done right. you can search my thread, but again if I could I would try to wrap every single panel I could simply because it will look and feel much nicer inside having the wrapped panels.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

I am thinking about doing this too. I think it'd look great.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by joe77
whats the best glue for wrapping, need it to stand up to the summer temps and humidity
They only cement I would trust is DAP landau top and trim sprayed thru a paint gun . While I have not used the stuff big mike posted , theres just to many variables with spray can glue . The solvents that need to be added to allow it to sprayed out of a can greatly reduce its strength. The high temp Dap sprayed thru a gun will actually bond stronger and stronger over time not weaken. Do your homework though on cure times ect ect. If you let the glue cure to short or apply to much, it will greatly weaken the bond and possibly present areas where the material will pull up or bubble over time. I was testing a rattle can adhesive(a high heat rated spray from yourautotrim) once, wrapped the kick panels and rear speaker panels . They turned out perfectly. Then I let them sit for a few months to see if it actually held . In the 3rd month , ALL the panels had the leather starting to lose adhesion in any area where the was curve or not a flat surface. I wont touch a rattle can since then, jmo .

Should you decide to paint the stuff, do it right and it will last and be durable. Again though, the rattle can SEM stuff isnt gonna cut it IMO. Prep the plastic right by washing it down with a soapy water, Then a plastic adhesion promotor. For paint, use a paint from a paint shop. Dupont, PPG ect all have interior specific paints, and a full color chip catolog that matches all interior colors per manufacturer and year . Spray the panels with a paint gun . After paint, seal it and create a nice finish with Dupont Velvasheild. Its an interior clearcoat that is soft(almost leather like feeling) and can be mixed for matte , satin or gloss finish .

Last edited by LT4vert; 01-29-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998MysticZ28
I have pretty much given up on buying a used interior. I am trying to change my tan interior to an Ebony or Grey set. Every time a seller and I come up with a deal someone local buys them or something.

So my question is if you had the plastics wrapped you think that would look good? Or should I paint them? Im just worried the paint will not hold up, and not sure how a wrapped panel would looks. Especially on something like the floor kick panels.

What do you guys think

Chris
the stuff is out there, just need to keep looking. I bought my full ebony set on ebay practically a piece at a time. I have a full beige set you can have for free if you want to play with it, i just don't know how to ship it to you without it being 200-300. the rear panels by the seats are probably the worst because of the shape. Someone local has to have some stuff they can give you for cheap if you're going down the path of painting/wrapping.

Quick Reply: Paint panels or wrap them