Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Daily Driver Winter Tire Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Daily Driver Winter Tire Options

Well let me start off as this is for our daily drivers. The T/A is parked in cool/dry storage and hybernating nicely.

Cars:

2000 Buick Century- Custom, Auto, 3.1L v6, 75k, Trac Control/ABS
2007 Chevrolet HHR- 1LT, Auto 2.2L I4, 25k, No ABS but has Accel Cont (over spinning of tires)

Conditions:

Being in Connecticut we get all types between Rain, Snow, Ice, and when it comes to getting to work we both have to deal with Steep hills whether it be from getting to our homes or to work. Hills are everywhere. Plowing is hit or miss as every town has basically drained their budgets so secondary roads are terrible and highways are not much better. Both companies we work for are renowned for not closing due to weather so we need to show up.

Situation:

The Buick is pretty good in the snow, for the most part. I had just replaced the tires with Mastercraft pieces. They do pretty good for the car, they have spun in snow but for the most part I would not be afraid of driving in them. So maybe for this year I won't worry as much. I may get a set of winter only on sep. rims on the front, we will see.

The main point of the post is for the Wife's car. As much as both of us not liking the car, as far as car payments, we are stuck with it and to be honest might as well keep it for the long term, so the car needs better tires for the snowy season.

I really can't afford a seperate set of rims/tires right now and I want something that is good to drive all year but have really good snow grip. These will be studless and the point is to be able to use them year round. From what I understand that it is not ideal to drive on these all year round but I really need some opinions or ideas on what works well, given the Parameters.

I have used a few sets of Snow Tires Such as Blizzaks and my favorite; Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...kapeliitta%20R

I guess to say is I need a set thats good all year, especially in snow and specifically for snow conditions. As if I needed to take the car, I will be able to do well and not worry. I am looking for alternatives, opinions, exp and maybe best place to buy if it is not offered everywhere.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian%20WR Seemingly the All Year Round version.

These are the 2 sizes:

16" Recommended: 215/55-16 or
16" Alternate: 205/60-16

Discuss!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nokians are excellent snow tires, but pricey. I would consider something less expensive, like a set of Firestone Winterforce tires for winter, and a good all season, or even a dedicated summer tire for the rest of the year. My point being that for the cost of the Nokians, it wouldn't be all that more for s second set of snow tires on a cheap steel wheel.

BTW, I feel for you New Englanders...you're getting all of our snow this year!!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're looking for a set of all-season tires that are not specifically designed for snow then the highest-rated tires seem to be the Continental ExtremeContact DWS
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...emeContact+DWS
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ort+A%2FS+Plus
and the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...+Pole+Position
On tirerack.com they test and rate these tires and the Continentals actually are ranked first despite being cheaper. If they fit my car then those are what I would have.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blizzacks for the win!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blizzaks also... I drove a Mustang GT year round for a few years once I picked them up as dedicated snow tires.

I just could not believe how much traction I got out of those Blizzaks on a RWD V-8 turd... I never got stuck, not once!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

I have seen great winter results with Blizzak winter tires. If you only see light snow the Conti Extreme DWS has the better snow traction for an all season.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

blizzaks are the best but for the best all year tire im using BFG g-force super sport A/S. this morning i made it in 1/2 ft of snow wit them no problem and cut a 1.87 with them at the track first time out lol.

Last edited by disc0monkey; 01-27-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Internet Mechanic

Thanks for all the replies, I got a list I need to start nailing down a price. I drove the Buick in this Morning on the Master Crafts and it was not bad, I must say but the HHR will need a Studded tire for damn sure.

My brother has a line of Cooper Tires too so I gotta get a price.

Anyone else, feel free to chime.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

I'm thinking studded tires are illegal and who would even make those for an HHR. If you have steep hills you need 4wd/awd. My inlaws live in a gated community in MI and the first road is very steep and it's impossible to drive up in FWD if there is a little snow. RWD forget about it. They even have a hill where our AWD MDX struggles if there are few inches of snow...
Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I'm thinking studded tires are illegal and who would even make those for an HHR. If you have steep hills you need 4wd/awd. My inlaws live in a gated community in MI and the first road is very steep and it's impossible to drive up in FWD if there is a little snow. RWD forget about it. They even have a hill where our AWD MDX struggles if there are few inches of snow...
In Connecticut Studded Tires are legal until Spring or basically around April. They go by regular tire size so you need to search that way. Not by Year, Make, Model. If you do some websites wont show everything.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Back when I had my LT1 car I had to drive it all year round. I went the first half of the winter on 275 HTRZ-IIs. Talk about a nightmare. If it was snowing AT ALL I couldn't go anywhere, I was a hazard on the roads. I bought some blizzaks and it turned into the best car I had ever driven in the snow. Ever since then I have had a set of cheap wheels and snow tires for my DDs
Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

If u want to go year round on one set of tires, do bot get a dedicated snow tire. You will just burn it up and waste your money. I have the Nokian WR on my 02 Cavalier and have no problems keeping up with 4X4 trucks/suv's. In fact even better when it comes time to stopping and turning. Im in South East WI, no stranger to heavier amounts of snow. I know the Nokian WR is no longer and has since become the WR G2, better tire and can be properly rotated for lower noise. Alternative tire would be the Vredestien Quatrac3. It is rated as an all season with the severe service emblem for winter just as the Nokians. Best way, obviously, is to stick with dedicated snows, but if the budget can handle it.......... I just put the Nokian Hakka R on my ladies 2011 Forester, she loves them. I put the Hakka Rsi on her last car, 2002 Focus ZX5 and she loved those, Hakka R is just the newer version. I was really debating with the price though, since Nokian just brought out the Nordman 4. Its was about $200 cheaper than the Hakka R and is simply the old Hakka 4 tread. If you want studded, the Hakka 5 only comes studded and has a decent selection of sizes that arent only "standard" sizes. You can find snows from pretty much any manufacturer. Cheap but good would be the General Altimax Arctic, Winter only, but is like the Nokian Nordman 4. The Altimax Arctic was an old Gislaved tire, I think Nordfrost 2?, that parent company Continental transfered over to General. Gislaved is also from Finland or Switzerland like Nokian is.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

I have Nokian Hakapillita 5s (not Rs) on dedicated winter rims. I run stock 18s in good weather and 16s in thewinter. Brand new - first winter with the Nokians. 225/60/16.

They turn and stop on a dime. Unbelieveable in fact. For taking off on ice/snow, they are very good, but I have to believe there is something even better out there. And, no way I would want them year round.

Turning: A+
Stopping on ice and snow: A+
Starting on ice/snow: B
Noise/ride (for dedicated winter tires) : A

Quick Reply: Daily Driver Winter Tire Options