LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gaskets

It looks like my intake gasket is letting the oil leak, so I am planning to replace the gasket, but was wondering what other gaskets I should replace at the same time that wouldn't be too time or cost consuming..
Old 01-27-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Fel-Pro intake gasket set will have everything you need- might as well do the injector o-rings, since MS95580 (intake kit) comes with the bottom 8 rings, kit ES70599 comes with 4 more, get 2 of those. tiny bit of vaseline or spray silicone (on your finger) helps to get them in.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people say go with the GM OEM gasket kit. Do you think it would be more worthwhile to go with the GM?

How long does it usually take to do this? Is there any advantage to do the valve cover gaskets at the same time?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

First time it'll take you half a day if you clean as you go, do it right. The OE gaskets I took out of my most recent build didn't look and different or better than the Felp-Pros I replaced them with. Your personal preference is fine. If you have modified heads/intake geometry due to porting/milling that wasn't corrected you might need to find some specialty gaskets to get it just right. You'll need thread sealer, 50ml bottle of Permatex 59235 for about $13.00 at Advance Auto (may have to overnight order it for you).

Vacuum the heck out of the lifter valley and intake runners to remove any crud you drop from cleaning the mating surfaces. Lots of how-tos on intake resealing.

Valve cover gaskets won't need to be touched. If it makes you feel better, most of the time you can clean them and set the correct toque with an in. lb. wrench. That will solve most leaks unless you've got VC gaskets that are ruined with tears or spending too long over-torqued.

Quick Reply: Gaskets