Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99TA - Blown Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99TA - Blown Transmission?

Driving home on the highway from the movies my car wouldn't go into 4. I got off at the nearest exit and my car wouldn't go into 3rd. . . I drove it home checked the fluid and it looked fine. I had my brother take it to aamco the next morning while I went to work. They said that the clutches in 3 & 4 were burnt up.
I'm not familiar with transmissions in the slightest. I know the transmission had a HD2 Transgo Shift kit but that's about it. I could really use some advice and pointers on where I should go from here. They quoted $1,300 for the rebuild. Do you think it's worth it for the rebuild? Should I buy a new one? Maybe a different type of transmission that will be better for performance? I don't have a final plan on where I'm going on this car. I just have a magna-flow cat back, SLP intake, Milled heads, and the shift kit so far. I do have a supercharger (centrifugal 7/9 Psi) that I will put on after I have the other supporting mods if that makes a difference on what type of transmission I will need. Just trying to be as descriptive as possible so I cant get the best feedback available.
I know its a long read and I appreciate anyone who took the time to read and respond with insightful information.
Thanks!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The diagnosis sounds correct to me, but with the supercharger and your other listed mods the stock rebuild from Aamco won't last very long. I would recommend getting a high performance built unit along with a good stall coverter. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Teching In

i wouldnt take it to aamco they are rip offs. they told me the same thing about 1300 to overhaul it. i was good with it at first then i went down there then they tried to charge me 2500. they jump around with there prices and ever time. i just wanted to know what it was out the door with no bs. i ended up paying like 1900 just for basic overhaul.with a 1yr waranty. what do you know its been just over a yr and my 2nd gear is starting to slip again.funny thing is i havnt even raced it since i got it rebuilt. just been driving back and forth to work and thats it.id do some shopping around before you go with them.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

get an upgraded trans from a reputable builder.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 PM
FormerVendor

If you buy from AAMCO you will just get a stock rebuild for the price you can get a performance upgraded transmission.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

^^I believe that. Get a built tranny from a sponsor here------>>>>
Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Okay, so basically a collective census it to say F*ck AAMCO & F*ck a basic rebuild. Should I get a built 4L60E or go with another trans? I read a few stickies, but like I said I'm really not familiar with transmissions and I don't know where to go in terms of type of transmission.. Which require modification to hook up and what am I looking to pay?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RyanAndyBob
Okay, so basically a collective census it to say F*ck AAMCO & F*ck a basic rebuild. Should I get a built 4L60E or go with another trans? I read a few stickies, but like I said I'm really not familiar with transmissions and I don't know where to go in terms of type of transmission.. Which require modification to hook up and what am I looking to pay?
Our transmissions require no modification to the car what-so-ever. They come ready to bolt in the car, fill with fluid and roll down the road. Our transmissions are 100% complete. You don't have to use your old crusty original tail housing and bell housing from your old transmission like some other shops require to you do. I would recommend that you do a google search on all your potential transmission builders and research them befor you make your final decision. Look at how the cars run that use their product and how happy the customers are. If you have any questions please feel free to let me know.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

AAMCO is . Stock rebuild is also . Go with one of the sponsors here particularly with any kind of power adder and/or stall. I would say to go with one of their higher-end units.