Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alternator Failing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Alternator Failing?

Hey, guys.

Recently, when I started up the car after a Winter month of no driving, the dash lights, RPM and various operating sounds fluctuated. This persisted for several minutes after I got on the road and fully dissipated to normal operating levels afterwards. This was the first time I experienced this, and had previously been dealing with an apparent failing battery which would drop power to just above the amount needed to crank the starter after sitting for more than one week, so I was still able to start up each time. I don't think the low battery level was due to the alternator (at least not back then) because the battery level would always returned to normal after a trip, undeniably indicating that the alternator did its charging job.

So a possibility I'm suspecting now is a corroded connection or terminal draining amperage. But my question is whether this amp drain can occur when the engine is running and the alternator charging properly? If not, then it obviously elminates a bad connection and solely implicating the alternator though it's less than 3 years old and has very little miles. Incidently, a technician had mentioned to me once that my computer was registering a code for a problem with some wiring. This was after the alternator was installed. Optimal function of the alternator doesn't rely on specific wiring (or wires), does it?

Any input will be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

How cold was it? If it was cold when you were driving, it might be temperature related. You could have a bad contact, which gets good after metal heats up and expands.